Certification Goals for the Year

Bouncing around the various boards here recently I have noticed a lot of people passing exams this month. So many, in fact, that I am starting to wonder if people got CBTNuggets or Transcenders in their stockings. That or the weather kept everyone inside studying.

First, congratulations if you have recently passed an exam.
Second, what are your exam goals for the rest of the year?

I'll go first:

1. BCMSN. This was a goal last year, but it just didn't happen. Plenty of excuses - not all the training material was out for the new exam, I spent more time on personal stuff, I switched gears and decided to update my MCSE - but I still should have got it done. Our MetroEthernet conversion project was also delayed until this year, and between that and a new SAN implementation (and perhaps a relocation of our disaster recovery site) I should get all the hands-on switching experience I need to pass it this year. Plus I already read the training guide, I just need to go over the certification guide.

2. MCSE:Messaging. I just updated my MCSE so everything's fresh, plus I work with Exchange 2003 every day, and it's just two tests. However, the resource kit is 1300 pages and I am kind of busy.

3. EMC Proven. How often do you get a chance to implement a new SAN? How often do you get free training credits? I need to take advantage of both the experience and training so I can sit for an exam (or two). Hours of time waiting for data to copy would be better spent studying than playing Halo against my co-workers.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's funny you started this. Last night I mapped-out my long-term goals and was thinking of starting a thread about that. Then I got depressed when I actually put everything in a realistic time-line. I just went and cried myself to sleep after that.

I'm definitely going to wrap up my MCSE: Security, which will only take me through March if I hit it hard. It's really up in the air after that. Here are the various scenarios:
      Stay on the MS track since the material will still be fresh in my mind, and the 2008 exams are just coming out. Knock out some other CompTIA exams to build a better foundation. Looking at the objectives, I feel that I have a pretty good handle on most of it, but I'm sure I'd pick up some things along the way. Some things, such as the A+, are more practical while others, such as the Server+ and Project+, just seem interesting to me. Do the CCNA, possibly start on the CCNP as well. I've bought the lab equipment and have already let a set of training materials go to waste (exam retired), so it's really time to get this taken care of. I'd really like to get into security more. While it's what I find the most interesting, I feel like I would just be wasting my time with things like the C|EH because of my lack of experience. I'd also like to beef up my *nix skills before going this route. I actually have a couple of CISSP books arriving tomorrow. I'm nowhere close to meeting the requirements, but I'd like to start familiarizing myself with the material.
    It's definitely going to be a busy year...
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Below are my certification goals for 2008

CCNA – Passed January 2008

CCDA – March 2008

CCNP – December 2008
  • PJC42PJC42 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here are my goals for 2008:

1) A+ with either network+ or security+, possibly all three

2) Go the MCP route (70-270, 290, 291, and obtain MCSA status at least

If i'm lucky then MCSE, but that seems more of a long term goal for the time being.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well mine are...

1. finish my bsc degree
    2. try and do the remaining 4 exams to get my mcse whilst studying for my degree (or if not after i finish it)
    3. progress onto the ccna or decide to go for my honours in my degree.

realistically my heart is telling me to **** my degree after this year and go for the cisco track because im in desktop support and i pretty much despise the role! so hopefully onto brighter things for 2009!

Good luck ev1
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Ok I also have been thinking about this, so here are my goals.

1 - Finish MCSE Security, should be done by next week :D

2 - Complete A+ (I have really no interest in doing this, but my boss insists I should do it, I keep puting it off ... I should get on with it icon_eek.gif )
    EDIT :: Just completed A+ this morining, so I guess this one'S out of the way.

3 - MCTS Exchange 2007 70-236 I want to do this one by march. Looks interesting and I'll need it for work, I also might be considering the pro level certs...

4 - CCNA This is the one tha interests me the most, I started reading and playing with Cisco gear and I really look forward to burying myself in it icon_twisted.gif

I think thats about it, I might get a few more MS certs along the way.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • slacrslacr Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ccna in another 6 months then ccnp

hopefully my mcsa
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hopefully MCSA by June and MCSE by year end. I also need to get around to learning the office 2007 suite...
    -Daniel
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Last year, I had two goals...

A. Upgrade my MCSE 2003 to either Security or Messaging - completed Messaging, after starting to go Security (got ISA 2004 done).
    B. Get a major certification that isn't Microsoft. Ended up getting VCP in VMWare Infrastructure 3. Far cry from what I had in mind (CISSP), but it is hot right now.

I've already gotten certified in ISA 2006 this year since I did an ISA 2004 to 2006 migration, figured why not.

My goals this year are:

1. MCITP - Enterprise Messaging Administrator. I'm an Exchange expert, supported it for Microsoft, definitely want to maintain my skills in this.

2. BCFP - will be tough to do because my employer has no interest in me doing this, but I'll find a way. Otherwise, anything I can get my hands on that's related to advanced storage.

3. If I can squeeze it in, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, but this is definitely the lowest on the priorities list.

If I'm sent to training, I'll probably get certified in Symantec Enterprise Vault since it's Exchange centric, but otherwise, not going for that.
    Good luck to all!
  • remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNP - January
    CCIE - December ?
    SND, SNRS, SNPA - Sprinkled in between since I am proficient enough in the material.

Maybe add the CCDA in there who knows. Will be hard since I start a new full time job at the end of July. Will not have as much free time as I do now consulting, studying, and working part time.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've decided to keep it simple and stay focused.

I'm not even going to worry about getting the CCENT until after I pass the CCIE Labs for R&S and Security. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol....I would skip the CCENT all together... I know it is a joke...or at least I hope it is.
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    What a motivated group of people on these boards; I'm continually impressed.

My certification goals for the year are SCSA and CCNA. I'm deeply entrenched in Unix Sysadmin work. I'm good at it. It pays at the level I'm at. But it's really starting to bore me. After I get these two certs I want to seriously reasses myself, career-wise. I'm not sure I want to go back to college for a degree and try to get into management, get into security, or get into networking. I'll be doing some real soul-searching. :)
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCIE Security Written by mid summer. CCIE Lab by the years end or beginning of next year. Got way to much work lined up to do any more than that. :) Maybe Sir MikeJ and I will schedule our IE Security Labs at the same time and fly out to San Jose, and make the trek up Tasman Drive together! icon_wink.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Last two CCNP exams (ISCW and ONT) followed by CCVP. Thinking of maybe starting on the CCIE R&S written instead of CCVP while a lot of the R&S stuff from CCNP is still fresh in my head. Working with VoIP for the past two years has me more intereasted in the CCVP at the moment though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Looking to complete MCSE upgrade to 2003 in Feb and then going to do Security+ followed by Linux+ after that it will depend on which direction my career goes, either SSCP or a Proffesional Cisco exam as I will need to do one anyway to renew my CCNA
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My goal for 2008 is to complete at least 2 CCNP exams, and maybe the Security+ or something to broaden my horizons.
  • jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Network+

Security+

MCP

Start on either a BS in Computer Something-or-other
    -or-
    Start on an MBA in Computer/Management Something-or-other

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. I lost my birth certificate, so I have to retake that test. The written part should be easy, but the practical is gonna be a tight squeeze! *

*Stole that joke from the comedian know as Melvin the Geek
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    1. finish my 2003 upgrade exams for my MCSA/MCSE

2. CCNA

3. Linux+
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. Server+ - I have been studying for this one for the past week and plan on actually taking it in 2-4 weeks.

2. CCNA

3. MCITP: Server Admin and/or MCITP: Enterprise Admin by the end of the year

I would love to get back into Linux/Unix stuff by doing a Linux certification but I work in a Microsoft/Cisco only environment so that probabably won't happen anytime soon. icon_sad.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • girt81girt81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to try for the MCSE:Security by the end of the year. I'm also looking at the BCMSN exam for the CCNP sometime in the near future. The original plan was just MCSE this year and CCNP next year, but work may be pushing CCNP up in importance.
    In progress: IINS (CCNA Security)
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Short Term (by May)
    MCSA

Long Term (by Sept)
    CCNA
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Short Term (by May):
    CCNA

Long Term (by December):
    B.S. in NCM
    Maybe CCDA
    Start MSCE or MCSA
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Q1 - Security+

Q2-3 - MCSA

Q4 - MCSE ( or at least 2 exam towards it)
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    im keeping it microsoft this year...

1. MCSA (291 left) My wife graduates this spring, and I hope to pass this thing no later than that
    2. If enough time (which I doubt), MCSE by the end of the year

good luck to all!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2 - 4 exams depending on how my other classes go.

Right now it looks like the MCSE 2003 upgrade exam before march 31 and then the Sec+. After those the possibilities are 70-299, 70-298, Double-Take, a Citrix exam, or some MCTS exams.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    I Definitely want to get my MCSE this year. A testing center is supposed to be opening up in my area. As soon as they open I am booking my 70-270 and continuing on with the rest of the MCSE tests!
  • bowulfbowulf Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to finish getting my MCITP in Server 2008. In addition, I will get the new VMware certification (VMware Certified Design Engineer) when it comes out in March.
    Kent A.
    MCSE - Win2k & Win2k3, MCSA - Win2k3
    MCITP - Vista (EST) & Windows 2008, SA
    MCTS - Vista; Windows Server 2008 -- Active Directory(640), Network(642), Application Infrastructure (643)
    VMware Certified Professional (VCP) - 4,3.x,2.x
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Want to finish my website this year is hopes to start a business. Depending on when I get that done (enough) then I want to finish my MCSA and/or MCSE.

So basically I'm learning PHP, Mysql, the relationships between the 2, to program the whole thing from scratch, google searching, google ad sense, and so on for the beginning of the year.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCIE Security written in March, Lab at either the end of the year or early next.

Might do the CEH around April/May if work will shell out for the course.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am looking to finish my MCSE by mid March 2008, I've prepared my lab equipments for CCNA, I am hoping to find people who are interested in peering for lab testing and studying CCNA.

After CCNA I'm basically in the air, I am thinking of getting Exchange 2007 and SQL, also debating if now is the right time to upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Administration.

But eventually if I get interested in Cisco CCNP is my career goal.