VOIP questions

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,

later this year we are changing to voip at work. i have no experiance with this at all but then again no one else has at work either! im just wondering if anyone has any good links to how it works, how one would go about configuring switches etc for it?

Anything at all would be grateful. im hoping i get some involvment in this project to get some networking experiance as i want to go for the ccna.

Thanks
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can start with the Cisco Docs and read through them if you are using a Cisco solution (will still help even if you are not). Here is a link thats an ok overview.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes, sorry i should of mentioned it will be on the cisco platform

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can also poke around the Solution Reference Network Designs to get the 10,000 foot overview. IP Telephony Deployment Models is a good place to start so you can figure out where your company will be in the VoIP food chain.

And then check out the Cisco Learning Connection for some specifics. There are some courses to give you guided tour of VoIP, and some to start teaching you the baby steps..... try to avoid (or ignore) the other scary courses for now icon_lol.gif

You'd probably want to grab some popcorn and start with Cisco on Cisco: IP Telephony Deployment.
    Cisco IT began deploying IP Telephony over 5 years ago to over 250 sites around the world, supporting over 50,000 IP Phones on the Cisco network. Cisco IT used this new technology to lower overall telephony costs and also discovered ways to improve productivity and business reliance. Learn about the history of Cisco's IP Telephony environment, the current IP Telephony architecture and the business reasons, plans and processes behind the migration.

If you add a couple of beers, you may want to check out Introduction to Basic Analog Voice over IP and Basic Analog-to-Digital Voice over IP.
    Learn how to use emerging voice internetworking technology with Introduction to Basic Analog Voice over IP.

Learn how to use emerging voice internetworking technology with Basic Analog-to-Digital Voice over IP.

With enough beer, you may be able to get through Cisco IP Phones Basics
    Learn how to make the most of your Cisco IP Phone with Cisco IP Phone tutorials. These thirty-minute tutorials show the parts of the phone, buttons, settings, LCD screen tips, call pick-up and call forwarding.

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like ALOT of beer! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the links