Options

Syngress Book...name resolution

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,

just decided to pick up my 293 book while i have a few weeks away from uni. as you can tell ive purchased the syngress book because i read that it was the best on the market.

Well im upto chapter 6 so far and i was just wondering from any of you who have read the book is it really necessary to have 140+ pages to cover name resolution????

ive done my 291 so im pretty familiar with most. WOuld it be worth reading this entire chapter or go over my 291 notes?

So far on the topics ive read the authors seem to be panning out each topic as much as possible ! icon_lol.gif

Does the book get any better lol? icon_eek.gif
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd read it. It took me a long time to get through; definitely not the most interesting of material. You'll pick up on some DNS stuff along the way that'll be new from 291. Not a whole lot, but I wouldn't skip it. There is a ton of stuff on WINS though, and that's all new from 291.
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I'm also having problems keeping the motivation to go through the book - so far it all seems review from the 291 studies... icon_confused.gif

I guess it's best to go through everything to make sure nothing is skipped.

Back to the books... icon_study.gif
  • Options
    It's essentially the planning edition of 291, so there is a great deal of overlap. Pay special attention to WINS, NLB, Clustering, and CAs/certificates. That will all be new.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Edit: For those that read what I previously wrote, disregard it. I got the MSPress and Syngress 70-293 books mixed up. Syngress is a very good 70-293 book. It's the MSPress book that stinks.

As for the OP, most of my DNS knowledge came from 70-291 and white papers. I don't think I learned anything new from 70-293.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys,

ive started reading chapter 6 and decided to break it into smaller, more manageable chunks.

Lets hope all goes well...im looking forward to clustering/nlb the most, although i'll probably have to play with it in a vm environment. hopefully i'll be able to get the 293 under my belt!

hows the cbt nugget series for this exam?

i heard the MS 293 book was trash but i have it available at work so it maybe worth using it as a second resource maybe?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    nel wrote:
    hows the cbt nugget series for this exam?

Excellent.
    nel wrote:
    i heard the MS 293 book was trash but i have it available at work so it maybe worth using it as a second resource maybe?

I have it as well. I'm just going to run through it quick and stop for anything I find interesting. I'll probably do the section exercises as well.