Boring CBT's

Hey Everybody,

Do CBT's really work? I can't stay awake for more than 5 minutes!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which ones are you watching? CBT Nuggets makes me laugh. The guy who does the Security+ and James Conrad are hilarious.

In one, he was comparing IP tools (I believe) to a junk drawer, so he opens up his drawer and starts listing off all the crap that's inside there. Then he's like, "Handcuffs? Where did these come from? On yea!" Then he just snickers and moves on. It's really subtle and catches you off guard.

I'm not looking forward to the 299 video though. The guy seems to be channeling Noel from Frasier, and it's pretty irritating. I've only watched the intro though, so maybe it gets better. I wasn't particularly found of James at first either.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never had a problem with them. Maybe you are just watching them at the wrong time. They might not be for everyone though....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had CBT nuggets for Project+ recently. Quality...not that great ( made in 800x600 res, plain letters on Corel Draw), Material... too broad ( I found it spending a lot of time on small non-important issues) Overall - If you have more time, sure it's a lazy way to study, but I find books and practice exams more time/cost effective.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Which ones are you watching? CBT Nuggets makes me laugh. The guy who does the Security+ and James Conrad are hilarious.

In one, he was comparing IP tools (I believe) to a junk drawer, so he opens up his drawer and starts listing off all the crap that's inside there. Then he's like, "Handcuffs? Where did these come from? On yea!" Then he just snickers and moves on. It's really subtle and catches you off guard.

I'm not looking forward to the 299 video though. The guy seems to be channeling Noel from Frasier, and it's pretty irritating. I've only watched the intro though, so maybe it gets better. I wasn't particularly found of James at first either.

I feel the same way, and yet, I still fall asleep!! Its not that the material is boring, just makes me tired. I use CBT as a 'getting your feet wet' method, then I hit the books.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    I agree with Snadam and Arvean. They're a good primer for the material. I typically watch the video then read about it. I wasn't (or didn't mean to) imply that they should be used as substitutes fro written references. I tend to doze off or day-dream myself. That's why I'm glad it's recorded and not live icon_lol.gif
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    I like to take notes when watching, time flies by when i'm doing that.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    homerj742 wrote:

+1

And don't watch them at work or home - that's a good way to become too relaxed or too distracted. Take a laptop with head phones to a coffee shop or book store. Buy a large of your favorite beverage (peppermint mocha espresso with whipped or carmel mocha latte with whipped). Then like homerj says, take notes.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Someone on here once said they use them as a first glance at the subject (sorry i cannot remember who it was) but thats how I use them before moving onto the written text or other study material.

They are a good souce of information and dont tend to last too long so just take one at a time and stop for a coffee etc, Marks ideas good but i know myself I would be there for hours and would end up bouncing home after all the coffee! drunken_smilie.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    homerj742 wrote:

I agree take notes and watch the nuggets in a well lit area:D
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:

hey, that thread looks familiar! icon_wink.gif

fast or slow though, I zonk out from time to time watching those...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I dont watch them at home. I drink lots of water when watching. I only watch one at a time.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We have what CBT Nuggets calls the Nugget Server Library (basically everything they have). Occassionally I'll take a look at a topic or two that I need to find out a little more about. I'm with Mark on this one; favorite beverage (Grande Caramel Frappucino with an extra shot of Expresso), and headphones. They're good for 4 hour plus flights as well.
    keatron wrote:
    We have what CBT Nuggets calls the Nugget Server Library (basically everything they have).

Sweet, I would love to have access to one of those, but they are so expensive my company won't spring for one. icon_sad.gif

I do have several CBT Nugget videos in my own personal collection though. I like the streaming video too, so even if I don' t have the CD's with me I can log onto my CBT Nugget account and watch them online.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Grande Caramel Frappucino with an extra shot of Expresso
    peppermint mocha espresso with whipped or carmel mocha latte with whipped

I've never thought of studying at a coffee shop/bookstore, but I love the idea (the coffee is a nice reward). Might just have to give this a try :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We have a seat for the CBTNuggets Streaming Subscription and it's great . I just put it on at Lunch most times at work, or i fdoing something time consuming but mundane have it playing in the background for audio at least.
    If I try watching at home there'll be a pint of Pepsi-Max on hand to keep me icon_eek.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

Sweet, I would love to have access to one of those, but they are so expensive my company won't spring for one. icon_sad.gif

I do have several CBT Nugget videos in my own personal collection though. I like the streaming video too, so even if I don' t have the CD's with me I can log onto my CBT Nugget account and watch them online.

I think it probably costs us somewhere around 20K (don't remember, I just sign off on stuff these days). As far as the CD goes, I basically just copied the entire nuggets server to a 250 GB small external HD, and carry it with me. (the nuggets server library is only about 60 GB).
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    homerj742 wrote:

+1

And don't watch them at work or home - that's a good way to become too relaxed or too distracted. Take a laptop with head phones to a coffee shop or book store. Buy a large of your favorite beverage (peppermint mocha espresso with whipped or carmel mocha latte with whipped). Then like homerj says, take notes.

Watch your waistline buddy. I have seen the size of these things you American folks drink in the TV series shown here across the pond. There must be 500 calaries right there!
    Turgon wrote:
    Watch your waistline buddy. I have seen the size of these things you American folks drink in the TV series shown here across the pond. There must be 500 calaries right there!

Critical thinking requires a lot of energy. You're not going to develop a successful IT career by munching on celery.
    Turgon wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    homerj742 wrote:

+1

icon_lol.gif

So what do you drink/eat while in your little cell doing the CCIE stuff?
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    dynamik wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Critical thinking requires a lot of energy. You're not going to develop a successful IT career by munching on celery.

You know, I've actually wondered about that. Does critical thinking actually burn calories? Cuz if I could just think my way to a smaller waistline, I'd be all over that. :D:D
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Turgon wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    homerj742 wrote:

+1

icon_lol.gif

So what do you drink/eat while in your little cell doing the CCIE stuff?

I might have a cup of tea, but generally I don't eat or drink while studying. Seriously though those coffee shop drinks are loaded with calaries.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Coffee, black for me while studying. All that sugar and flavoring take away from the coffee flavor :D . Those coffee shop special coffees barley even have any coffee in them!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Turgon wrote:
    I might have a cup of tea, but generally I don't eat or drink while studying. Seriously though those coffee shop drinks are loaded with calaries.

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right. If I could watch CBT's while on my treadmill I would do it, but trying to watch and run makes me dizzy. The next best way to watch and stay awake for me is the bookstore/espresso method while taking notes.

It's all about balance and time management. I could watch them at home but wouldn't absorb as much information and probably have to watch each video more than once to get everything out of it. Then I wouldn't have time to walk/run later.

Labs are different, they force you to focus. It's an active form of study, vs. passive like watching cbt's.

It's all good in moderation. I usually only do the cbt/espresso/bookstore thing on Saturday's.
    Those coffee shop special coffees barley even have any coffee in them!

I think they use shotglass size servings (1-3 hits) for espresso. But remember, espresso is made by forcing the hot water through very condenced, fine (almost powder) ground coffee, so it's very strong. Then you add all the flavors and stuff so it doesn't kill you. :D
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    James conrad = top bloke! funny buy has the knowledge and teaching methods.

Build the labs you'll roughly might need before the CBT and do what they say and see it actually work ( or where it doesn't and correct it yourself ) whilst watching the CBT ( ok you might be stopping or rewinding every 10 mins or so but isnt this how you learn? )

Monkey see, monkey do.....works for me :D
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )