Learning CallManager Express on the job?

darkfibredarkfibre Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Is it possible to 'pick up' CallManager Express on the job with little or no experience in voice?

I have done a bit of reading, seems like there is quite a bit to learn, but was wondering whether it is possible to initially understand how to deploy it through shadowing, hands on, etc with only CCNA level experience.

All opinions welcome...thanks icon_cool.gif

Comments

• j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    Well I can tell you it will be very hard to pick up all the concepts of it. but going through the all the administration and system guides have been extremely helpful and working with it with no experience you will in doubt pick up alot of knowledge while working with it. I speak from experience.

As I am working with it fully for the last month. I dont have my CCNA but I did have a class while in school but you kinda forget those things if you dont get a chance to work with what you learn so everything I kinda remember is starting to link up.

thats just my two cents....
    Growth is limited.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    darkfibre wrote:
    Is it possible to 'pick up' CallManager Express on the job with little or no experience in voice?

Yes it is possible. I worked with CME for about a year before I ever read anything about it (didn't have CCNA at the time either). I've still never had any formal training on it but I run seven remote sites running CME and two main sites running CCM. The only thing is when you learn by doing you don't really get the why it's working only that it is working. The fact that you are already reading about it will just give you an edge.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • darkfibredarkfibre Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked with CME for about a year before I ever read anything about it

Did you start off administering it to get the feel of it or did you start off deploying it through the IOS?
    The only thing is when you learn by doing you don't really get the why it's working only that it is working.

Is that a dangerous way to learn? Especially if you have to troubleshoot?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also learned CME just by using it. My conceptual knowledge is not very deep, but I am primarily a R&S, not a VOIP guy. I will learn the concepts and design behind the CM eventually, but I had to learn some of it as part of my job.

There isn't much troubleshooting when you don't understand the basics of the system- only how to use it. A lot of troubleshooting can be pretty trial and error. I've read what I can about CME since then, and it helps a lot. I think it's best to read/study what you can, then dive into it.

Of course, I didn't have a choice in my situation.
    darkfibre wrote:
    Did you start off administering it to get the feel of it or did you start off deploying it through the IOS?

Both. I helped implement it and administered it from the day it was deployed.
    darkfibre wrote:

I learned from trial and error pretty much like Mrock4 stated. It is a lot harder when you don't understand the technologies behind it. You learn a lot through hands on though. Hands on in a real enviroment teaches things you will never learn in a book.
  • j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    darkfibre wrote:

Both. I helped implement it and administered it from the day it was deployed.
    darkfibre wrote:

I learned from trial and area pretty much like Mrock4 stated. It is a lot harder when you don't understand the technologies behind it. You learn a lot through hands on though. Hands on in a real enviroment teaches things you will never learn in a book.

Exactly nothing beats hands on exp.
    Growth is limited.
    Agreed, hands on is a key part. I guess what I'm trying to get at is if it is completely new, then how quickly can one pick up on it without much 'grounding' on it? (Basically, going to a job, and working on it straight out of the box). Speed of learning is dependant on the person I'm sure, but just looking for some rough timescales...if anyone has any :)
    I don't think there is really a rough time line. I pick up things quickly so I had the configuration down after a few days. After configuring a few routers and they didn't work I learned how to fix the common problems after a few more days. I wasn't an expert (still am not after about two years) but I could get the job done after about a month of working with it.

Take into consideration that I already had about four years networking experience and about a years worth of PBX experience.
    Take into consideration that I already had about four years networking experience and about a years worth of PBX experience.

How did you get your first break into networking if you don't mind me asking? Can you remember how you got there and what you initially did?
    I started in the military. I got a lot of great experience while serving. So I'm not much help on how to start straight out of school....
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started in the military. I got a lot of great experience while serving. So I'm not much help on how to start straight out of school....

Ditto. I joined because all of the IT jobs I found back home said "we need you to have experience", but none of them would help you get that experience.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    i worked with it for a while on the 2800 series platforms.

what i can say is it makes it easier if you are familiar with key pbx/tdm fundamentals.

so like knowing the old stuff can help you with the new stuff
    i herd u leik mudkips lol