Options

Lan PC needs internet via Wireless

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Is it possible to have HTTP traffic via wireless lan at same time as having a newtork lan connection for everything else

PC is on lan for office apps but some internet is blocked, wireless lan is not blocked so therefore would like all HTTP traffic to be vis wireless lan

Is this possible, i know he has tried a few things but to no avail

Any help would be great

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should be okay as long as they are different networks.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Mishra

The person who needs this access needs them both at same time, the apps from the LAN network to be on all the time but he wishes to use the wireless LAN for internet as this is not filtered so much

Am i making any sense icon_confused.gif

Lee H
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can't route based on Protocols (on a Windows client anyway) but as long as the LAN resources are all on the same subnet as the client you can use the ROUTE CHANGE command to set the default gateway for your LAN interface to a higher value than the same Default Gateway for the WIFI interface. Everything not bound for your local subnet will then choose the WIFI connection, even when going to the same gateway. But since you mention different filtering then it is pretty likely both are on different subnets, if so and you don't want to fiddle with command line (and again it is windows) on each interface to to it's Properties / TCP-IP Properties / Advanced and untick Automatic Metric, set your LAN interface higher than your WIFI.
    Again all of this is contingent upon your 'LAN Resources' being on the same subnet as the LAN interface, either of these steps will use the WIFI for anything that is not. You could get specific with setting the routing to other subnets and define your LAN interface as the one to take to improve efficiency and allow it to use that interface for other subnets but not internet traffic. It can be a lot of work though.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can have a computer connected to both a wired and wireless LAN at the same time. You will probably have to disable one or the other depending on which one you want to use at the given time. This is easy to do in Windows XP/Vista.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Configure the Network Bindings so that the Wireless Network is chosen first by network services
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP