Linkedin?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
After reading another guy's good luck getting a job through someone else on the board, I thought it would be a cool idea to "hook up" with other Techexam'ers in our respective area. I have a linkedin account. I've never really used it a whole lot in any sort of "networking" sense, the only contact I currently have is one guy I went to college with who is a teacher in the nw burbs of chicago.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm using linkedin to collect contacts to try and build networking. Unfortunately, you still don't communicate in anyway so to me its like dead contacts.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    i wish there was a way to search for contacts,if there is, I can't figure it out... It could be a powerful tool if it was a little easier to use.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can search employees of a job that you worked at previously or currently.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Log into your LinkedIn account and search for people using TechExams as the search string. You'll see a few of us are already on there. LinkedIn is my #1 business networking site. Send me an invite and I'll link to you.
    It says I can't contact you because you're not in my network and I need to upgrade my account? icon_confused.gif Didn't realize you had to pay to expand your network...

From what I read though I should be able to send invites...
    My email address is in my LinkedIn name. This is an indication to any LinkedIn user to send me an invite via the yellow, Expand Your Network button in the upper right hand corner.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    My email address is in my LinkedIn name. This is an indication to any LinkedIn user to send me an invite via the yellow, Expand Your Network button in the upper right hand corner.

Now I think he's just teasing us. We're all going to be scavenging the net to find his email address (unless it's someplace obvious that I overlooked).
    You need to sign up for a LinkedIn account and then use the search feature. My email address is in my name. btowntech was clever enough to figure it out! :)
    JDMurray wrote:
    btowntech was clever enough to figure it out! :)

Point taken icon_cry.gif
    JDMurray wrote:
    You need to sign up for a LinkedIn account and then use the search feature. My email address is in my name. btowntech was clever enough to figure it out! :)

I shot you an invite... to what I "think" was your email.... not sure if I'm as smart as tech
    Weird. Even though I verified my email address and was searching while logged in, everyone appeared as "private." I tried searching again today and everyone's full details are shown. icon_confused.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    Weird. Even though I verified my email address and was searching while logged in, everyone appeared as "private." I tried searching again today and everyone's full details are shown. icon_confused.gif

To go along with this JD, I swear yesterday your name and email didn't show up like it did today until I got btown as a friend and then when you were a friend of a friend I saw everything.
    Well, everybody is linked to me now. Maybe there is a period of time required for new user information to fully percolate through LinkedIn's databases.