Copy Run Start ... confusion?

steele_uksteele_uk Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a little confused. I have two sets of documentation that contradict each other.

Reading Yhe W Odom Cisco docs, it is said that when configuring a switch, you must copy run start to save your changes (as you would a Router)

Testout docs state " the copy run start command is not used on a switch, and all changes to running config are saved."

Testout states that the "copy run start" is used when configuring Routers, not Switches.

Have i mis-interpreted something? Which is right?

Many thanks

Andy

Comments

• M_BoydM_Boyd Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steele_uk wrote:
    I am a little confused. I have two sets of documentation that contradict each other.

Reading Yhe W Odom Cisco docs, it is said that when configuring a switch, you must copy run start to save your changes (as you would a Router)

Yep he is right
    Testout docs state " the copy run start command is not used on a switch, and all changes to running config are saved."

confusing but I know for a fact copy run start saves the config on a switch....
    Testout states that the "copy run start" is used when configuring Routers, not Switches.

Testout is wrong....
  • steele_uksteele_uk Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow. Thanks for the fast reply.

I have been using the Testout CD for the simulations which so far i have found excellent. I am now a bit worried as to how accurate they are. icon_sad.gif
    I am glad i got the Wendell Odom book as backup.

Thanks.

Ps. I will try to quote the Testout docs "word for word"
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well...coming from a Cisco working environment. This is how it goes...

You MUST also do a copy run start. on a Cisco switch, 2900's and above when you are changing the configuration just as you would do when configuring a router. If you do not do a copy run start you will lose the configuration if the switch is rebooted...talking from experince icon_mad.gif . There have been a few times that I have configured Cisco switches 2900 and 3550 series and have forgot to do a copy run start and have lost the configuration. icon_evil.gif

I know the 1900 switches save the configuration as soon as you make a change...BUT keep in mind that it's not like that with the rest of the switches. The 2900's and above you MUST do a copy run start. Trust me I have configured 100's of Cisco switches at my job. 1900, 2900, 2950, 3500, 3550's.

FYI....
    You can also do a "wr mem" to save the configuration on the switch but for the exam they want you to do copy run start.

Hope this helps!!! icon_cool.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    steele_uk wrote:
    Have i mis-interpreted something? Which is right?
    Andy

They are both right, it just depends if your switch is using Cisco IOS (as most 1900 series, 2900 series, 3500 series switch use) OR Catalyst OS (used in 4000 series and other switches.)

With the Catalyst OS (also known as CatOS and set-based switching) you do not have to do a "copy run start", matter of fact, you CAN'T perform a "copy run start". The configuration is automatically saved line by line as you type in the commmands. No saving or writing to memory required.
  • cellophanecorecellophanecore Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what is the difference between doing that and a "write memory"
    It's the same thing as doing a copy run start. It's just a newer command that the older IOS's did not support support. I can't remember the ver. when it was 1st introduced (wr mem).
    what is the difference between doing that and a "write memory"
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    Actually the "write memory" command is the older command....
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/sbook/ssysim.htm
    "copy running-config startup-config" (copy run start) was not used prior to IOS 10.3
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    forbesl is correct, write memory is from the 'old days' and is only provided for those who are used to using it.

But you don't even need to use write memory, the command can be abbreviated to wr because writing to memory is the default when using the write command. This is probably also the reason why Cisco replaced (and will eventually phase out )the write command with a much longer command (copy running-config startup-config) because one could very easily type wr (darn close to eachother on a qwerty keyboard) by accident and overwrite the startup config. Although the 'new' command can be abbreviated as well, it will still be three words making it very unlikely one submits that command by accident.

I hope Cisco will continue supporting the wr command for a long time because I still use it. I prevents me from accidentally using copy start run instead of copy run start ;)
    Webmaster wrote:
    I hope Cisco will continue supporting the wr command for a long time because I still use it. I prevents me from accidentally using copy start run instead of copy run start ;)

Me too. I've gotten into the habit of using the full "wr mem" command. PIX firewalls don't accept just "wr" and since I administer firewalls and routers/switches, it makes things simpler. I'm glad they kept the old IOS command for those of us that are use to it. :)
    Sorry for the incorrect info. icon_redface.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!