weird OWA problem

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
I have one system where OWA will just not work anymore.. it used to work though.

no one can log into OWA in this machine not even my admin accounts

no errors are dispalyed?

the same users can use OWA on a different computer

this is all under the same user profile so it could be a corrupt profile.....I'll test that theory out Monday.

I should probalby also make sure they can authenticate on other SSL sites I guess as well

it will not work in IE but it does in Firefox.

I've removed and reinstalled IE 7 as well

anyone have any other ideas??

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try prefixing usernames with "domainname\".

When I moved an internal website from a DC to a member server, Firefox would work with their username and password, but IE required domainname\username and password. I'm not sure why that would just suddenly start happening for you; I'm not very familiar with OWA though.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Smallguy wrote:
    I have one system where OWA will just not work anymore.. it used to work though.

no errors are dispalyed?

this is all under the same user profile so it could be a corrupt profile.....I'll test that theory out Monday.

I should probalby also make sure they can authenticate on other SSL sites I guess as well

If no errors are displayed then what happens? I've seen times where you would log into OWA but get page not found. The issue was resolved by adding OWA to trusted sites. Other times it was a permission issue related to their mailbox, but you said he can log into OWA on another computer.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Smallguy wrote:

no errors are dispalyed?

If no errors are displayed then what happens? I've seen times where you would log into OWA but get page not found. The issue was resolved by adding OWA to trusted sites. Other times it was a permission issue related to their mailbox, but you said he can log into OWA on another computer.

the username and password fields just go blank.... like a failed logon but doesn't say anything
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Are you not using forms based authentication? This sounds like a IE setting that has allowed the capture an invalid login and has cached it. What version of IE are you using? If its IE 6 there should be a setting under the advanced tab that you can uncheck so that it always prompts you for your credentials and will not try to cache them. If you use a different profile I can pretty much promise you its going to work as these settings are stored in the user profile.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
    CoryS wrote:
    Are you not using forms based authentication? This sounds like a IE setting that has allowed the capture an invalid login and has cached it. What version of IE are you using? If its IE 6 there should be a setting under the advanced tab that you can uncheck so that it always prompts you for your credentials and will not try to cache them. If you use a different profile I can pretty much promise you its going to work as these settings are stored in the user profile.

I've tried it in both IE 6 and IE 7

the weird part is that you get to the log on screen and are prompted for credentials it just doesn't authenticate

I'll try restoring the defaults in IE though
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any chance you switched from Forms Based Authentication to Basic Authentication for OWA? If so, if the CAS is on a server with any other role, authentication will fail. This is ONLY for OWA authentication. If you're doing CAS to CAS Basic Authentication, authentication from CAS to CAS will still work.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote:
    Any chance you switched from Forms Based Authentication to Basic Authentication for OWA? If so, if the CAS is on a server with any other role, authentication will fail. This is ONLY for OWA authentication. If you're doing CAS to CAS Basic Authentication, authentication from CAS to CAS will still work.

no we didn't change anything actually this is why I find it so weird it worked on a friday and stopped on a Monday
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try turning on audit logon access in the local event log on the Exchange box for failures and see if that shows anything. If not, on your Domain Controllers Policy try turning on Audit Account Logon Failures and wait 5 minutes for the update to be replicated to your DCs. Then try logging on again and check each of your DC's for the error.

Let us know if you find anything that's preventing the logon.

And FYI, if you have multiple DCs and don't want it to be tedious to check each DC, use EventCombMT.
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/49492/49492.html

Another thought is that the user's password might be set to change at next logon. I've seen issues arise with RDP having trouble connecting when that option is set, so there might be the same issue with logging onto OWA.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    Are you typing in the domain\username in the box or are you using whats already supplied in there?

I think you said it works in firefox but not in IE
    maybe theres a setting within IE on their profile but you can determine that when you test out monday

let us know what the outcome of the other test are
    Growth is limited.