Weird one

pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
Your thoughts on this:

Boss handed me a Employee performance appraisal and said to fill it out.
I believe its a waste of my time, how am i supposed to be objective.
God deserves my best

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is said boss lazy and/or intelligent?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its a common thing from my employer...happens every year.

Ive found the idea of it quite good ...but nothing ever seems to come of mine! haha

Its meant to be an informal chat about how you feel about your performance and hw the company feels about it and what can be improved etc etc.

Its a very HR type of thing but opinions vary about this but like i say its quite a common thing in most places nowadays.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the comments, well whether I like it or not it is happening today at 3:00 PM so I will let ya all know how it goes.
    God deserves my best
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I's sort of like the "What are your 3 biggest faults" question in an interview. Whatever you write will be used as performance goals for your next evaluation in 6 months or 1 year (whenever it is)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote:
    its a common thing from my employer...happens every year.

Ive found the idea of it quite good ...but nothing ever seems to come of mine! haha

Its meant to be an informal chat about how you feel about your performance and hw the company feels about it and what can be improved etc etc.

Its a very HR type of thing but opinions vary about this but like i say its quite a common thing in most places nowadays.

We also do this every year, and this has been my experience as well. It just feels like a formality.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    I can't stand when employers do this!! I filled mine out with "Outstanding" under all categories and told them that they can fill out differently if they wish. It's a pointless mind game to me..
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dtlokee you were right, after the evaluation my boss made notes about what they expect by the next review.
    To me it wasn't worth it cause its a small company (<10 people), of course you got the speech where " want to make sure every one is working to their best potential" etc etc......

thanks for the early warning dtokee.
    God deserves my best
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Typical management 101 stuff icon_sad.gif

Sounds like it went well, hopefully you gave them some things that are easy to correct icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The point of a self evaluation like that isn't a mind game, nor to see if you think to highly or poorly of yourself. It's an aid to your Supervisor/Manager to assist them in their evaluation of you. If they have lots of employees, it's hard to keep track of exactly what everyone has done and not done. This is your time to point out projects and such that you've done that your boss may have overlooked.
    When I worked as a Helpdesk Manager, I was in charge of 15 employees. 6 of which worked on a different shift than I did. I couldn't always be there to observe everyone as we were operational 24/7. When it came time to send my evaluations to the Director, having my supervisors make the employees fill out self evaluations was an outstanding help.
    Whenever you are writing evals you'll always find that it's easy to write them up for your top 5% of employees and your lowest 5% of employees. It's that crappy 90% in between that keeps you up all night trying to figure out what to say about them.
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.