Options

Networking Career

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

errr after looking around at other careers, I am now really confused so I kind of thought of coming back and having a look again at networking. I hope you can all help me and advise me.

Lets say I follow the Cisco track and become a Cisco networker. To constantly keep myself updated with the latest technology, how many hours a day or how many days a month or whatever do I have to 'study'? And will this study go on throughout my career?

How are the job markets in the networking industry? Is there are a serious lack of jobs? The Univ where I want to get a Bachelor of IT degree in Networking, has an internship kind of program to get me some experience. Will this help in getting a job? Do you expect this experience to dramatically make it easier to find a job? How many hours a day do networkers in general work for?

Now for the more important part:
I want to become a pilot primarily. But as the pilot industry is also kind of hard, pilots normally have 4 degrees under their belts along with the licenses. This degree could be in anything. I think I would be good with computers and their implementation so I was attracted towards this specific degree as it might be easier for m to get through.
Now lets say later on after say 10-15 years of getting this degree, I do not pass my medical exam and have to give up my pilot career so I will have to look for another source of income. The 4 year degree should help me in this. Do you think after all those years, I will hold any chance of getting a job or will the degree and its knowledge be critically outdated?

Have you come across any way to find out whether a person would be interested in networking in the long term? Many careers look attractive to us in the beginning but what matters is that you are still interested in that field even after years and decades. So do you think there is any way in which I can find out whether I would still be interested in networking or not after several years? I myself think I wont lose interest but the high levels of stress and studying might put me off.

I m sure that there must be quite a few experienced people over here so I would appreciate any tips and advice.

Thanks

PS If I sounded like an idiot please forgive me because I am really confused about careers.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    First off, it's your career, do what you want to do.

Secondly, If you want to fly, goto a Flgiht School like Embry Riddle or Florida Institute of Technolgoy.

Thridly, as weith any career that requires certification, expect to spend alot of time studying and earning new certs as the industry shifts focus. If you get a CCNA no, its good for 3 yrs. If your flying during that time I don't expect you to remember much of it.

Foruth. Pick something you like and go from there.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Lets say I follow the Cisco track and become a Cisco networker. To constantly keep myself updated with the latest technology, how many hours a day or how many days a month or whatever do I have to 'study'? And will this study go on throughout my career?

Try not to study based on a time table. Study for your love of the material and success will follow.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that if you want to be a pilot- do it. I am in this field simply because this is my 'passion'..if yours is flying, then follow it. There's nothing stopping you from messing with networking on the side, or using it as a fall-back plan.

I used to be the same way before I dove into networking. I was very indecisive about my career choices, but thankfully made the right choice by following what I enjoyed working with, even though I knew it would be very technical, and challenging.
  • Options
    DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well to tell the truth I like both flying and Networking. Cant decide which one I like more. Both ahve their pros and cons.

Is it possible to use Networking as a fall back plan like when I dont feel like flyin anymore and decide to get a ground job? So does networking technology advance as fast as desktop computers where there is something or he other which is better and faster than what you have?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The networking world moves pretty fast. If you go fly for a while things will be different if you try to return to networking (or any facet of IT). This industry moves fast and will leave you behind if you don't keep up. Also you should know a career in networking isn't something you really get with just a degree or certifications. Most people work their way up from some sort of help desk or field service tech position. So you should know if you go fly you will probably have to take a pretty large pay cut to start a new entry level IT job. Just some food for thought. IT isn't really something I'd use a s a "fall back" career. It's something you have to work at constantly to stay up to date with.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.