What Laptop would you choose?

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
1) HP Media Center G6032EA Notebook PC (GZ974EA)
http://h41306.www4.hp.com/section?SID=9506d6c0879e706b8c372e80570c91500c3:1222&secid=70432

2) Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718 Core 2 Duo T5300
http://www.nice-pc.co.uk/acatalog/amilo_li1718_t5300.html

3) Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi 2515 Core 2 Duo T5450 2GB 160GB DVDRW
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4Y3P

(Im just looking to buy a laptop within the next couple of weeks for under £400, based in UK so newegg etc no use icon_confused.gif )
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ive read good things about Leveno.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The Acer Aspire 9304 looks quite good from ebuyer. Or my personal favorite, a toshiba (within your price range) from dabs. Both of these laptops are under £400.00.

From experience I don't like Fujitsu laptops (I purchased 80 odd Fujitsu laptops for my company a couple of years ago and the build quality wasn't that good - but that may be different now), but that's just me. I would recommend a Toshiba, however

-Ken
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I have bought so many...

Acer for the money was pretty good. Certainly not the most high performance but for less than 500 what do you expect.

I stay away from HP, way to many problems.

Best middle of the road: DELL....

Plus I have had the best luck dual booting on dells.

Thats my 2 cents.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Dell's are also very user-serviceable, which is quite important to those of us who buy used, out-of-warranty equipment.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I just purchased the Dell xps 1530, which im quite pleased with.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love my Lenovo T61p.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lenovo is a great machine. It's an IBM. I was given a t43 for work about two years ago, and it's been much more reliable and durable then the rest. Don't go with HP. HP = Compaq = problems imo. Haven't heard too much about the fujitso's, but, another company I"ve heard great things about is toshiba. GL
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    ALIENWARE my dream machine. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195

Mine too but i just dont have that much spare cash!!

Thanks for the replies guys i will have a bit more of a look around i think then and take a look at Lenovo and Dell machines, however what I could find were low spec/higher price than those above.

Problem is im in the UK and things seem to be qa little more expensive here without the same bargin shops/sites.

[Edit
    This is a possibility:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_3000_N200_0769_TY2BMUK/version.asp
    Though would need to add an extra Gig of RAM as machine is for VPC's etc.

/Edit]
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Ide go with fuji anyday, whichever model

on a funny note i also would like one of these

dellxpsm2010p1-1.jpg

icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    a portable cinema! icon_lol.gif

nice one Lee..
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I work with Dell and Lenovo all day long. I would stay away from Lenovo, for multiple reasons. The service sucks, the customer service sucks, and I'm never too impressed with whatever model they come out with. It's been the same story when we used T40s, and then we get same crap with the T61s. In fact, we have users reporting less than two hours battery life on a full charge(plus triple that time to recharge), which is ridiculous..unless you buy the extra cell battery; not to mention, that fingerprint software sucks beyond sucking....it always loads at startup, even if you check off not to do so. It takes forever to load, and bogs down the system until it does load fully. The scanner doesn't work right; I hear more complaints about it, and receive requests to disable it frequently......and not that it's laptop related, but they have a desktop model that comes with a non-bootable cd-rom drive...that helps me not, as I prepare images for these new machines. Lenovos response was to remove each drive, install it in a good system, and flash the drive. Then replace it in the orginal to boot from it....PITA when you have so many...

On the other hand, Dell has been great, with a few exceptions. The M90 is my favorite. It is an absolute powerhouse, which can handle some of the most intensive CAD apps, better than some towers. It is rather expensive though. The M4300 is similar, but the touchpad is junk. The Inspiron and XPS serires are also good. I just had to fix a 1720, and it took me about 10 minutes to get the whole thing apart, very easy to work on, very user serviceable......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ricka182, yeah I work with Dell and Lenovo extensively as well.

With the Lenovo T42P series, we had 8 laptop fans go out in a period of 6 weeks. I have 4 docking stations sitting around in which the USB ports blew out, and are out of warranty.

Lenovo phone support in Atlanta has been responsive; on-site support is fast. However, we've had to wait up to two weeks for motherboards. Our users like the Lenovo because of nearly transparent docking/undocking, but the units are now underpowered.

Our Dells are D820s with a couple D620s. Those are some strong laptops! Heh, we run VMWare machines in a couple. I've even set up two to run as temporary build servers. You can punch 'em out with 4 GB RAM. RAM is just so crazy cheap right now - 4 GB for about $120 or less. Compared to Lenovo, the Dells are extremely well-made. My big complaint about the Dells is that the 9-cell batteries fizz out shortly after the one-year battery warranty has expired.

We also purchased an XPS M1730 for a special project. It runs pretty good.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Good luck!! I always wanted one so I threw $3k at them and bought a top of the line latop. It died in 6 months. The motherboard fried itself, i sent it back they replaced it. Six months after they replaced it, it burned up again. I had a 1 yr. warranty and they wouldn't warranty the new part. So the system warranty was up and i was SOL. New motherboard was $400-$600. I hocked it on ebay for $900 with a fried motherboard and someone bought it. lol.

I avoid Alienware, they're now black listed for me.

I say go with Lenova, Dell (even though they own Alienware) or IBM.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Shame to hear Alienware arnt quite up to what i thought, nice looking though.

One question, the one im looking at is the Amilo Pi 2515.

Who here would pay £400 for a laptop now that you cant upgrade further than the 2GB RAM, I havent got a need for more as it isnt a games machine but if i do need more in near future I will need a new laptop!
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    we buy Lenovo and HP

mostly Lenovo now cause we've had bad luck with some of our HP systems

we have a number of T60 and T61's and on serious issues with any of them only one out of the 30 we purchased last year has a battery problem but they'll warranty it... they all shipped with XP though

We also pay the 89.00 cdn for next day service on our 3 year warranty and so far all experiences have been positive
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like Most, I exclusively work with Dell and HP products at the workplace.

I would recommend the Dell just from experience. I have had good luck with their customer service (seems like they finally 'insourced' their damn techs again!), and their support page is easy to use, IMO. I have had only one bad machine out of the last 60 I purchased in the last 5 years; AND, they replaced it in less than 36 hours.

Many of my friends have HP laptops, and they always call me with issues (not that HP is bad, I just seem to see more issues with their products)

it all depends on your budget and taste. Newegg is a decent place to purchase and see reviews from other users (although they dont sell dell nor HP there).
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I perfer IBM, too. R/T/Z series ROCK....
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    brad- wrote:
    Ive read good things about Leveno.

Lenovo is awesome.

And to what you posted...none of the above. Sorry.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I say none of the above...if you want something simple, get a Dell laptop.

I wouldn't buy from anyone when it comes to desktops...especially Alienware...cheaper and better to build yourself.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Dell, hands down.
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For light duty laptops I like the IBM T30's and R51e's. We have a few dells but i am unsure of the model. Our salesmen pack HP's. For anything rough-service I order the guys Motorola ML900-series notebooks.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/Mobile%20Computers/Rugged%20Notebooks/ML910/_Documents/staticFiles/ML910_Brochure.pdf