Qs? Packet Tracer -Networksims - Certexams Routersimulator

LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
I would like to have some feedback on several simulator packages. My friend is letting me use his laptop for school that has Packet Tracer on it, which I just started learning last night; just fiddling around with it. I noticed that not too many folks here mention using Packet Tracer for their studies for the CCNA. Is there a particular reason for this?

Also I don't want to go out and spend ~$200 on RouterSim or Boson's Software, I feel that money might be better spent on a home lab. What are your thoughts on the following software:

Networksims at only $36
http://networksims.com/emulators.html

and

Certexams Routersimulator at $24.95
http://routersimulator.certexams.com/router-simulator.html

I'm having thoughts that Networksims would be the better product for me to buy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ive used packet tracer and its not bad. Although i thought the boson netsim was better which i tried on my friends laptop.

ive decided to go for a hands on lab approach because:

1. to give me hands on experiance with real kit to see the reactions when you pull a cable out or upgrading components etc and it will give me a feel for the real deal

2. because a lab can cost approx the same amount as a sim (depending on what you buy).

3. you can always sell a lab on

4. the sims dont always react to the exact manerisms of the real thing.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Packet Tracer is available as part of the Cisco CCNA Network Academy Courses. It's a good tool for initially learning about networking and allows the instructors to "build labs" and assignments for their students. It might be the only option for some Academies in the 3rd world that can't afford the real hardware labs -- but while being "cute" it lacks a lot of functionality. It still has a long way to go before I'd consider it a fully functional simulator -- but it is a good learning tool when used as part of the Academy training.

And all the other simulators suck. Boson probably sucks the least, but still has the same old bugs from years ago. If you follow their labs -- and don't try much of anything else -- then it is good enough to "get by" -- but that's it.

"Flash Lab" exercises like the eLabs in the Network Academy Courseware are okay in a learning environment -- but aren't Simulators at all. They are just scripted typing exercises -- again, better than nothing.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    LBC90805 wrote:
    I would like to have some feedback on several simulator packages. My friend is letting me use his laptop for school that has Packet Tracer on it, which I just started learning last night; just fiddling around with it. I noticed that not too many folks here mention using Packet Tracer for their studies for the CCNA. Is there a particular reason for this?

LBC90805,

You have to be a student in the Cisco Networking Academy in order to use Packet Tracer. The Cisco Networking Academy is a more structured program in terms of time commitments because they are usually full academic courses at local academic institutions. However, some members of TechExams.net cannot afford the time commitment to regularly attend classes at a Cisco Networking Academy which is why most people at Techexams.net take the self-study route (pun intended). So that's why relatively speaking, Packet Tracer isn't mentioned much at TechExams.net.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LBC90805

BOSON IS TERRIBLE..IT CAN BE good for some things but sometimes you think you are typing things wrong when in fact you ar edoing it rightand the sim is just bugging out; that just pisses me off when you spend so much time and it is the sim buggingout.

i spend the 200 bucks on the new ccna boson do not get it! it shuts off after a year and the you have to buy again..

I am looking into networksims only 36 dollars a year and it shuts down to after a year. thenyuo need to reup on the 36 bucks for another year

great deal if it works well
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hey mikej412

what you think of networksims? it looks nice but how buggy is it?
    i have some rave reviewson it from others..but they usually are newbies??
    thanks
    for 36 bucks a year and if it works with all the labs..?/