Tax Writeoff Question

My boss required me to get my A+ cert so that I could become Lenovo certified for my job. My question is can I write off the cost of the A+ tests on my taxes?

Any ideas?

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If its a requirement for your job you should absolutely be able to write off the expenditures of the test along with any study materials. Just make sure you keep all your receipts and get something in writing from you boss saying that this is a requirement of your job for your own tax records
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Nice! Thanks for the info.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously, that would piss me off. My company requiring me to get certified and not paying for it. That's like telling you that they have a client out-of-state that you need to go to and you have to purchase your own airline ticket to get there to make the company money. If it was a certification you wanted to get on your own and was irrelevant to your job, then that would be a different story. Or if this was a part of the job requirements and they decided to hire you anyways, that would also be a different story.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    royal wrote:
    Seriously, that would piss me off. My company requiring me to get certified and not paying for it. That's like telling you that they have a client out-of-state that you need to go to and you have to purchase your own airline ticket to get there to make the company money. If it was a certification you wanted to get on your own and was irrelevant to your job, then that would be a different story. Or if this was a part of the job requirements and they decided to hire you anyways, that would also be a different story.

My company originally promised to reimburse employees for the RHCE and give them a promotion. One guy went and got his on his own time, and after presenting it to the company was initially told that they were moving more towards a group/class way of doing things, and was told that he would be getting neither promotion nor reimbursement. He had to fight to get the promotion, and I'm still not sure if they reimbursed him for the exam.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    aordal wrote:
    My boss required me to get my A+ cert so that I could become Lenovo certified for my job. My question is can I write off the cost of the A+ tests on my taxes?

Any ideas?

Talk to your accountant.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote:

yea me too. Besides, when they pay for it, they can write it off for themselves usually. My company is pretty cool about that.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    My company makes my co-worker work for no pay on Saturday, and they make him pay admission.

...He does AV for their fundraiser dinners, so they make him donate AND work for no pay and no food. He pays the $50 to go to the dinner and he stands quietly in the back waiting for the DVD to screw up.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nlabelle wrote:
    My company makes my co-worker work for no pay on Saturday, and they make him pay admission.

...He does AV for their fundraiser dinners, so they make him donate AND work for no pay and no food. He pays the $50 to go to the dinner and he stands quietly in the back waiting for the DVD to screw up.

There's a simple way to fix this... accidently put in the "wrong" DVD one night.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    dtlokee wrote:
    nlabelle wrote:

There's a simple way to fix this... accidently put in the "wrong" DVD one night.

roflmao.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    dtlokee wrote:
    nlabelle wrote:

"Computer Techs behaving Badly 7"