Options

Question for the headhunters concerning resumes

147147 Member Posts: 117
I have a couple of general resume questions for you hiring managers out there.

1: How do you list certifications in a manner that communicates what they are, conserves valuable paper real estate, but at the same time doesn't make your resume look like a mess?

Ex: I have a number of non IT certs in environmental technology as well as the IT certs listed to the left (these two categories will probably never be seen together on any one resume of mine, though). How do you list the 70-270? Just like that? Add "MCP" preceeding it? Or do I just slap the entire mouthful of a title right across the page?

2: Concerning education, I've seen a lot of people mention their GPA or other honors. I graduated Summa Cum Laude, 4.0 GPA in both degrees, made dean's list twice and National Honor Society. Do you list all this, or just "Graduated Summa Cum Laude"?

I'm looking for the opinions of those hiring managers who have actually come across some of these entries to see what your impression of the information and the candidates were.

Thanks in advance!
Fear is the absence of Faith.

Comments

• Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    As far as #1 goes, I made copies of the summary pages that came with my certs and stick em in my portfolio. You know... the pages that say "This certifies that xxxx demonstrates efficiency in the following subjects:". It's got the ID number on there as well if they ever ask for it.

I certainly think they helped, especially when you apply for a technical position at a small company that has no technical upper-management. If they understand key concepts then they can understand what cert demonstrates what skills. Not to mention, it makes it easier for the interviewer even if they are technical, since no one can possibly remember all the topics that are covered in each exam.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have one page to present yourself to the headhunter.

Go with technology "keyword" and not job description.

Write down your accomplishment

Award and IT certification (match time and experience)
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    147147 Member Posts: 117
    Kasor wrote:
    Go with technology "keyword" and not job description.

Write down your accomplishment

Award and IT certification (match time and experience)

Not sure I follow you here. For one, are you saying I should move education / certifications / licenses to the first page and list job experience on the second? (If so, I can already see how that will help). Beyond that...you lost me.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.