USB drive lift expectancy

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Has anyone ever used a USB drive (memory stick) so much that it ceased to be able to be written to?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've gone through a dozen USB drives! Most of the time they are just not designed to last for ever. Have you tried chkdsk /r?
    -Daniel
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to use them quite a bit before writing/rewriting will wear them out. You're more likely to lose it, put it through the wash, or have it fail for some other reason. The one exception to this would be if you did something like install an OS or some other program that constantly writes to it.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Daniel333 wrote:
    I've gone through a dozen USB drives! Most of the time they are just not designed to last for ever. Have you tried chkdsk /r?

Really!

I have had my main one for almost 5 years and it is still going strong.... I guess my fear is it will burn out soon....

Do you know what you did to cause your to stop working correctly??? Did you always properly dismount yours?

I worry because I use several *nix flavors to mount and dis mount mine, and not really sure how cleanly it is doing that....
    dynamik wrote:
    You need to use them quite a bit before writing/rewriting will wear them out. You're more likely to lose it, put it through the wash, or have it fail for some other reason. The one exception to this would be if you did something like install an OS or some other program that constantly writes to it.

Sure, but theoretically it can be done. Looking to see if this has actually happened to anyone on here.

Thanks for the link!
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I put mine through the wash and it still worked. icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□

hahahahha
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only thing is, it cleaned off all the dirty pictures I had on there. icon_jokercolor.gificon_wink.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im unsure about the 'lift' expectancy, but I have two "thummy's" go 3 years strong now. icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    snadam wrote:
    Im unsure about the 'lift' expectancy, but I have two "thummy's" go 3 years strong now. icon_lol.gif

hahahaha

good one!!!!

I mean to say life!!!!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Netstudent wrote:

Actually, Mine went through the wash as well and still works.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    liven wrote:
    snadam wrote:

hahahaha

good one!!!!

I mean to say life!!!!

:D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I guess everyone here likes to have a clean USB flash drives. The dishwasher might be a little friendlier with less tumbling if you want to try that instead. You may want to skip the dry cycle though, can get a bit toasty.

I had one for four years and one for two years (both of which I gave away 6 months ago when I upgraded to a larger one). Neither had been washed.
    Schluep wrote:
    I guess everyone here likes to have a clean USB flash drives. The dishwasher might be a little friendlier with less tumbling if you want to try that instead. You may want to skip the dry cycle though, can get a bit toasty.

I had one for four years and one for two years (both of which I gave away 6 months ago when I upgraded to a larger one). Neither had been washed.

Brilliant!!!
  • Nik00117Nik00117 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I find this is the case too, my flash drivers tend to last a long time.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Never had one long enough to wear out. I always lose them first! The longest I have had one was from 2004 until this year, but then I lost it of course.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.