MY study plan. What do you all think ?

PumpkinheadPumpkinhead Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would appreciate you insight on my study plan for the Network+ exam.

A year ago, I took a 3-certification class ( A+, Net+, Security+). There was about 24 hours spent in the classroom with an instructor. I read the SYBEX book (4th edition) at that time.
After getting my A+ certification, I concentrated on getting a job.

Now a year later I need to finally study and pass this exam.
I have read the book AGAIN.
I have taken copious notes on index cards ( by chapter ).
I have a lot of test questions on my PC and printed out.

How should I proceed ? Would you recommend Trenscender? It helped me with A+, but now funds are limited.
Should I go chapter-by-chapter with my note cards, then do a ton of practice questions ?

Any tips would be helpful. I cannot afford to fail ![/i]
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
.....Al Swearengen

Comments

• aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I would definetaly go through the technotes/practice exams on this website as well. Personally thats all I studied and passed. So I'd say that with what you already have would probably be enough to pass easily.

But that's my own experience.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sometimes those classes use outdated material. Check the versions before you proceed.

Generally a good class/video, a book, and a transcender equals success. I just recently starting goofing around with www.vtc.com for their Microsoft Project 2003 class (work thing). Seems inexpensive and good. They have a demo, so you might want to check it out.
    -Daniel
  • PumpkinheadPumpkinhead Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Sometimes those classes use outdated material. Check the versions before you proceed.

Generally a good class/video, a book, and a transcender equals success. I just recently starting goofing around with www.vtc.com for their Microsoft Project 2003 class (work thing). Seems inexpensive and good. They have a demo, so you might want to check it out.

Thanks I will.

The classes covered N10-003 and it seemed up to date, although I have no comparison.
    "The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
    .....Al Swearengen
    aordal wrote:
    I would definetaly go through the technotes/practice exams on this website as well. Personally thats all I studied and passed. So I'd say that with what you already have would probably be enough to pass easily.

But that's my own experience.

Really? Wow that is great !
    About how many hours/days/weeks did you study ?
    Do you remember your score ?

*Aside*
    Has your employment situation changed since getting both Certifications ?
    .....Al Swearengen
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    Although I think Transcender is great, I only used the Sybex (4th ed) and the technotes from this site to pass. Together they had plenty of info to pass the exam with. You should save your money on Transcender (in this case) if you ask me.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
    147 wrote:
    Although I think Transcender is great, I only used the Sybex (4th ed) and the technotes from this site to pass. Together they had plenty of info to pass the exam with. You should save your money on Transcender (in this case) if you ask me.

Yea, I was leaning away from transcender myself . I tried it for A+ because I was really uptight about that exam. I found I only went through about half of that material.

*I am memorizing the cable types and distances now ( ie ,10GB base-ER /SMF/10Gbps/40k).
    I plan to just do a "braindump" right away on the whiteboard they give you.
    Will this help ? Were there a lot of questions about cable type and distances ?
    .....Al Swearengen
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    *I am memorizing the cable types and distances now ( ie ,10GB base-ER /SMF/10Gbps/40k).
    I plan to just do a "braindump" right away on the whiteboard they give you.
    Will this help ? Were there a lot of questions about cable type and distances ?

I would definately memorize the table about the cables from the Sybex book. It had everything you need- emphasis on EVERYTHING. I used note cards for the info- cable spec on one side, all details on the other. Be sure to know those cards backward and forward because you'll be tested from both perspectives. Plus, you'll need to know those specs to be able to rule out some answers in other questions.

Also, be sure you know all the OSI layers and major points of each, and know all the details of the bottom three.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I studied for 3 weeks about 2-3 hours a day. Mostly I read about a topic from the technotes then read more about it on wikipedia/howstuffworks or if possible make my own little lab, ie using the arp/netsat commands etc..

My score was a 733 which isnt perfect, but I feel like I know the material very well just very wierd test questions.