Jobs im looking at..

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,

just wanted abit of advice...

ive been in IT for 5 1/2 years and have worked on support levels 1 - 3. i currently do level 2 & 3 support for over 2000 users. i recently moved jobs after been told i would have a high end role and would be involved with infrastructure work and support. sadly this couldnt be further from the truth.

ive been looking at other jobs and i dont want to move to another company just to make a side step, i would only go if it were to take the next step up. i would like a system engineer or even better a network engineer job because im very interested in cisco but sadly havent had time to study for my ccna because of my PT degree and working full time while pursuing my mcse!.

ive seen a job in my area as a network engineer but im unsure i would even be considered for the role because i have no cisco certs or work based cisco experiance, only that i have done in small labs.

Here is the job role description:

* Installation, upgrading, support and maintenance of networking hardware such as routers and switches (preferably with Cisco/Juniper qualifications)
* Design and implementation of new ISP products and services
* Reviewing, updating and improving processes for network services (including automation)
* Cabling and facilities management as required.
* Providing 2nd level support to both internal and external customers of the business.
* Knowledge of ISP systems (web & mail hosting platforms, DNS, large IP networks etc)
* Linux (Red Hat) and Microsoft OS (2003) admin experience

Now ive done things in a production environment like all your usual windows admin stuff, upgraded AD domains, installed countless servers, helped upgrade exchange etc.

Things is im only 22 and my age plays against me all the time, even for the company i work for over the last 3 years. In the summer i hope to have my mcse and i will have a bsc degree. i then wish to go onto ccna and possibly ccnp if i could get a net engineer role. i also have 5 1/2 years experiance in the IT field.

Do you think this is out of my league and should try and get more qualifications and experiance or would you think it would be worth a shot (realistically)?

Any comments (no matter how much it may or may not hurt) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for it and make sure you continue to self study to improve yourself.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Apply for it. Be confident in your abilities! If you go in with a fail attitude you probably will. The worst they can say is no......
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the words of advice.

i think i'll give it a shot

• famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Apply, apply, apply. I got my first System Admin job without System Admin experience. I went into the interview, showed that I knew my stuff technically, although at the time was mainly book and lab knowledge, and they liked me overall and offered me the job. Once in, make sure you don't make your boss regret his decision and shine. Admit when you don't know something, and don't be gungho and try stuff in production if you aren't sure. I have a lot more suggestions, but it's geting a little off topic.

In short, you can go for it...they may see you as an opportunity to pay less for the position and allow you to grow. You may find out that you know more than you thought you did when you start...I know I did. Some things just come out of the woodworks when you are in the heat of battle...
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
    they may see you as an opportunity to pay less for the position and allow you to grow

This is why i was thinking of going for it aswell.
    I have a lot more suggestions, but it's geting a little off topic.

Hey man, keep those suggestions comin, i could do with all the help and advice of people who have been through this before!

Also would you put the kind of labs etc you have in your house and what you have used to learn with it etc on your cv? i kind of want to so i can emphasise the fact im eager to learn? any thoughts?

ive also been revamping my cv but at my current job i have very few positives to put on it icon_sad.gif, im worried they may be weary of the fact that ive only been at my current job for 6 months!

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    nel wrote:
    Also would you put the kind of labs etc you have in your house and what you have used to learn with it etc on your cv? i kind of want to so i can emphasise the fact im eager to learn? any thoughts?

I wouldn't put home lab experience on your resume/cv. You should really only put verifiable experience on there IMO. Anyone can make up home lab experience with no way to verify that you have actually done it or even that you did it right.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    OK np. thanks for the advice on that

just a little addition to the post really but how long does it usually take a company to respond etc to an application? or does this just depend on the type of job?

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends but you can follow it up with a phone call to see about the status of the position.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    It depends but you can follow it up with a phone call to see about the status of the position.

Thanks.

I think i'll give it a week or two because i only sent it on monday! fingers crossed tho