Options

Windows Live Communications Server

dpsdps Member Posts: 116
Have you guys ever tried this? This ain't free, right? :P

I'm looking for an Instant Messaging solution/program that integrates with AD, Exchange.
Do you know if there are other types of similar programs? Hint: Freeware
Focused and Steady.

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LCS 2005 and OCS 2007 are definitely not free. I was never able to find anything for free that tied into AD or Exchange. The best free stuff I was able to find was an ICQ GroupWare server that was buggy and designed for Win NT 4.0. It ran on 2003 but was needing to be restarted almost every other day.
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Thanks RTmarc. :D

Just found out about Openfire Server. Will gather more info if this is doable or the same as LCS/OCS.
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think you're going to find anything with AD/Exchange integration for free. Fortunately, I don't think OCS is THAT expensive.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not that bad expensive but it is a serious PITA to get setup correctly. Fortunately, there is an overwhelming amount of documentation for it out there....not. It's a pain but when it does work, it's pretty sweet.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTmarc wrote:
    It's not that bad expensive but it is a serious PITA to get setup correctly. Fortunately, there is an overwhelming amount of documentation for it out there....not. It's a pain but when it does work, it's pretty sweet.
    Yeah, tell me about it. I wish I had documented my first installation a little better because I have to reproduce it and forgot a couple of the workarounds I had to employ to get my external stuff going.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...