How Far (or long) Do You Drive To Work?

tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm not used to long commutes but I have a feeling that's about to change.

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    About 45 minutes to an hour, each way. I go to school here too, so I would be here most days anyway. I get up at 5 every morning to get ready, drive to work, work until 3:30, then go to class. :)
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That seems crazy. I just did a contract job that was an hour away and i couldn't imagine people driving back and forth like that daily. I've never had to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work. I guess commuting is natural for some people. If the money is right, it won't seem as bad.

thanks for your input
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've never really even thought about it. Of course, I've been going to school here for three years, so I'm used to driving the distance at least four times a week.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I use to drive an hour to my old IT job, now....it's 15 minutes from my house! :D
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I spend all day on the road. .....ya got to love field service.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    Use to do field service and it was anywhere from a 1 to 3 hour drive 1 way. My job I have had for 4 years now is 5 minutes from my house.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Right now, I average about 250 miles a day.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1hr 30min or more each way, using public transit.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I spend 1hr everyday on a 5km traffic congested piece of road. Traffic is killing me every single morning. I'm really considering saving for a helicopter or something. hahaicon_wink.gif

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    About 36 miles round trip.

Used to drive minimum 120 mile/day to get to work and back home when I was in heavy highway construction. Some days I drove a lot more.
    So, 36 round trip is really nice.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    55 Miles to work. 55 Miles home. This is only because I'm waiting from my G/F to finish her last semester at school, then we will move closer. The majority of America commutes 20 mintues to work.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    My car has been broken for the last week... and the commutes killin me. 2 hrs to get to my place now. If it was 20 minutes, I'd think I'd died and went to heaven. icon_cry.gif

I wish I’d been a mechanic. I know many friends who fix their cars and don’t have to wait one week to get it serviced and repaired.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this will make some of you mad icon_wink.gif but I have a 20min WALK!!
    I work about a mile from where I live.
    I've been driving around an hour on average doing contract jobs. I should have an interview sometime next week for something closer.
  • mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    10 minute walk..nice
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • tree_twobearstree_twobears Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My round trip is exactly 40 miles. I drove for a while, now the bus gives me a chance to read and nap. One way trip is about 40 minutes, followed by a 10 minute walk.
    Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i drop off one of the kids to school on my way to work. it takes a little over ten minutes. if i drove direct it would take about five (depending on traffic) and would take twenty to thrity minutes to walk it.

i used to always have this idea, which i have stuck to in the twenty years that i've been in the workforce so far. if i can't get to work near enough on time by bus, or if it takes longer than an hour to walk it, i won't apply for the job.

since i quit school time between jobs has been one three month period and one five week period.
    A+ Moderator
  • TempestmsTempestms Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    10 minutes away from home :D:D
    I have an interview monday for a job that's 15 minutes away! I wish I knew more about the position...anyway, I think I have a really good chance of getting it
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Good luck on that job!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    5 minute drive :D
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    15 minutes from my house to work. :D 45 minutes with traffic icon_mad.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    ^^^lol @ me not getting any of those jobs I had interviews for

I'm driving 66 miles to work one way, that's a quarter of a tank of gas

that's not really good
  • superflyzx3superflyzx3 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work form home. Got to love the VPN
    garv221 wrote:
    55 Miles to work. 55 Miles home. This is only because I'm waiting from my G/F to finish her last semester at school, then we will move closer. The majority of America commutes 20 mintues to work.
    Switched jobs about 3 months ago..I drive 5.1 Miles..
    I work form home. Got to love the VPN

that must be nice

meanwhile, I'm in the office sending cd's to remote users allout.gif
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i used to drive 1hr 15 min one way for 2 years what was i thinking.. o i remember i was in it for the experience.. but one of my cars didn't survive it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote:
    i used to drive 1hr 15 min one way for 2 years what was i thinking.. o i remember i was in it for the experience.. but one of my cars didn't survive it

That was me also! Did it for experience..I was driving a 90' honda accord coupe with 235,000 MI back n forth, filled up with coffe cups & lunchables...., All the while I had a Lexus at home that just sat.. icon_eek.gif
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    unfortunately my 95 madza died, and the 100 dollar 86 honda accord survived (even after i bought a newer honda) then it set for 8 months and still was working after i gave it away icon_eek.gif i will never buy anything other that honda or nissan
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    it's 20 mins each way for me..and often 30-40 minutes of driving during the work day. With no traffic i have done it in about 7. My '93 Villager holds lots of equipment. Very nice to load it up with stuff, deliver and deploy in about 6 hours and bill for twice that. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.