Hardware CCNA

goldorakgoldorak Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I know there has been zillions of posts about gear but i don't think there is anything wrong with discussing the same subject more than once. So here go:

I started studying for CCNA a couple of weeks ago and i am thinking lab practise and since hand on hardware experiance is better than sim...
I have spotted the following on the top shelf in the stock room at work. I might potentially be able to borrow it and was wondering if that might be any good for CCNA prep:

- 1 X 2600
- 1 X 3600
- 2 X 24 port switch cards (just the cards).
- 1 X Sun Microsystem Netro t1 105
- Loads of dram and sim for 2600
- A big empty green chassis that says 3600 at the front and has compartments inside when looking from behind: any idea what that might be?
- Few serial cables

I am certain the Sun box is no use but just thought i'd mention it in any case.

Any idea if i can use any of the above for ccna and if yes or no what else migh i need.

Thank you all and have fun in the sun...
Goldorak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A little knowledge is dangerous...

Comments

• MiekMiek Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a nice lab for practice :)

but what interfaces are on the 2600 and 3600 routers?
    The only thing you need for CCNA are some ethernet interfaces and serial interfaces so that won't be a problem ...

It would be nice if you have a switch for some more practice but it isn't necessary ...

Good luck practicing ;)
  • goldorakgoldorak Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. As far as i can remember there are a few ethernet interfaces as well as a serial interface.
    So that would be enough or do you think that i also need a simulator as well.
    Do you know what the big box might be?
    Do you know what i can do with the 2 ethernet switch cards.

Thank you.
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When you buy a 3600 router you only buy a case with a "motherboard". I think that's the stuff you find ...

To use the router you have to buy some slots with interface (ethernet, serial, ...)

The switchcards are slots to use in a switch chassis but you can't put it in every switch. You have to know for what switch they are meant.

With 2 routers and maybe a switch ... I woundn't use a simulator. It's nice to try some things but it isn't that good as the 'real stuff' ;)
    Well, thanks for you help. Much app.
    If i was to buy a switch, what should it be? (Perhaps CCNP after)
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For CCNP you need a 3550 switch (layer 3 switch) but a 29xx switch will do for CCNA and a part of CCNP.

The hardware requirements for CCNP are higher than for CCNA but I believe you need a 29xx switch for both.

You can find 29xx switches (with some luck) on ebay.

Greets ;)
    Thank you dude...
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~