no lab to study

Any suggestions....

I have to study for and complete exam 70-218 to get MCSA2K, and then do exam 70-296 for the upgrade to MCSA2K3...I have until the end of March to do this....I need them for a new job I start in another week...If I don't get them done, not only will my new boss be not so happy, but I'll have to restart the 2K3 track, losing credit for what I've already done....I know 218 is supposed to be easy, but I never use either OS at my current work, and don't have my lab setup to practice with. I have M$ press, Sybex, and EC2 for 218....I keep saying I'll read a chapter a night, but have yet to pick up any of them.......I'm in a jam I guess....oh, and I'm moving this week, so I spending most of my free time preparing the new place, because I only have a week to do that as well.....Is it possible to get these done without being able to actually see what the books are talking about?....
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Any suggestions....
    Uh, no beer for a while perhaps? ;)
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Funny you mention beer...I've actually been making more than I've been drinking......Most of my free time has been spent my new place cleaning and painting.......by the time I get done with work and my new home; I'm so tired I couldn't read more than one chapter, and actually remember what I read.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Can't you get some sympathy from your new boss and get an extension? What's the point of forcing you study for the MCSA in your present situation? It more important to your boss for you to get the MCSA cert than to properly learn the material? If you boss is a reasonable person, and he isn't being constrained by some bureaucratic set of rules, he should give you an extension.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    Can't you get some sympathy from your new boss and get an extension? What's the point of forcing you study for the MCSA in your present situation? It more important to your boss for you to get the MCSA cert than to properly learn the material? If you boss is a reasonable person, and he isn't being constrained by some bureaucratic set of rules, he should give you an extension.

Think the problem is that the exam is retiring in March 2008. Not sure of the date on the rollup, but the 218 is retired.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    OH NO!!
    the NT exams are retiring too icon_eek.gif I SO wanted to complete those this year :)

(actually thought NT exams were retired??).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You're not losing much IMO if you can't get that 2000 exam done to shorten your path to MCSE 2003. 70-292 is by far and away more difficult than the core exams.
    Good luck to all!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't say I really can sympathize, when you haven't even been using the product that you are trying to certify you are an expert with.

You didn't tell the new boss that you were already certified did you?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...