Hired! Computer Tech. @ Best Buy

bjuarbebjuarbe Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
I was recently hired as a computer technician at Best Buy, They starting me out at $11.23. Its not too bad... just have to get use to there database system that they use to log orders and what not.

So is $11.23 a fair wage??? Im 18yrs old with A+, Net+ and attending college for Computer Network Operations, with no prior IT experience. All thoughts, ideas and anything else is much appreciated.

=)
Theres JUSToneBOBBY!

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :D Congrats!

It is not great pay, but it is a start, and a lot of people can't get that right now.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shoot, I always thought they paid minimum. Thats not a bad wage as a starter.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • mbeavenmbeaven Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I think that's a fair wage, most importantly you'll get more hands on experience to put on your resume.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    That's about the average, or maybe even a little better than average wage for an entry-level tech with a low level of experience.

Be patient. If IT is what you want to do, you'll have it "made in the shade" in a few years.

Congrats on the new job!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    That's less than what I make, but I would have taken it if I was offered. Nothings hiring here in IT.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    One of the main considerations in dealing with salary is the current cost of living where you are located also. Some places that isn't much and some places that is a whole lot.
  • bjuarbebjuarbe Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    okay, I thought it was low too, but thats cuz of my "experience" level. If Im here at least 6months to a year, that would be something nice for the next job right?
    Theres JUSToneBOBBY!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Experience is golden. Especially with a national name like CompUsa.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was making half that when I was your age, lol. It's not bad at all but, keep doing your research and make sure they're not trying to dick you.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ha...when I was 18....11 years ago I was making like $6 an hour. I wish I was making what you're making now when I was your age.

BTW...
    congratz!!! That will be a good place for you to get some hands on and learn...steppin stone you'll know when you'll be ready to move on to bigger and better things.

Good Luck!!!

Keep us updated on how it goes there for you.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • bjuarbebjuarbe Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea so far its been an okay experience. Alot of people have been comming in for SASSER removal. Its pretty much nothing I havent done before. Work consist of taking orders from walkin customers, filling out paper work, installing video/ram/hd's etc., Installing Spyware removal, antivirus and system tuneups are BIG sellers. Pretty much people pay for what they can do at home using adaware or spybot (funni thing is that we use that too icon_wink.gif ) Well thats been my first week at best buy so lets see how next week goes...

=)
    Theres JUSToneBOBBY!