Microsoft vs. CompTIA

I am getting ready to complete my MCSA and move on to CompTIAs. I just have a few questions for you all.

What are some major differences between Microsoft and CompTIA certs? I've heard that Microsoft questions are a little more complex and wordy but I've never taken a CompTIA.

I'm looking into the N+, A+, and Server+...

What are some key areas to study?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Magnum2544 wrote:
    I am getting ready to complete my MCSA and move on to CompTIAs. I just have a few questions for you all.

What are some major differences between Microsoft and CompTIA certs? I've heard that Microsoft questions are a little more complex and wordy but I've never taken a CompTIA.

I'm looking into the N+, A+, and Server+...

What are some key areas to study?

Thanks in advance!

I find Comptia certs to be more general and easier. They have much broader areas covered but questions are not detailed. Microsoft is a vendor certification. Questions relate to their products, where Comptias are general IT without any flavor. My guess is that Comptia are universal and good to have, nevertheless to specialize you need some Microsofts as well.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nearly every Microsoft question consists of a wall of text that involves a fairly involved scenario (as you know). Comptia questions are going to be like:

You are configuring a firewall and need to let HTTP and HTTPS traffic through. Which ports do you need to allow (choose all that apply):
    A. 80
    B. 25
    C. 21
    D. 3389
    E. 443

CompTIA is much more fact-based. Microsoft wants you to not only know the facts but know how they are applied in real-world scenarios.

P.S. Consider taking the Security+ as well.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I think you will find the CompTIA exams to be a nice refreshing break from the MS exams. I personally think the CompTIA exams are easier.
  • Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    I am thinking about taking the N+ & Server+, A+ Essentials and one of the other A+'s (Not too sure yet, any suggestions?)

Thoughts of CCNA are brewing as well icon_wink.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    602 is the common elective, but if you're interested in one of the others and/or are working in one of those environments, go for that one.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sec+ goes towards your MCSE and/or MCSA. I personally thought that one was fun to study for. The test on the other hand, is to be desired. Not hard, just weird...

check that one out too!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    I'm taking a college course based on the Sec+ and it is intriguing...I can only imagine the cert haha