How about SCNS??

YujYuj Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,i'm very interested in Network security and i,ve seen many mantioned about the CCSP,CCSA,or CISSP....How about this SCNS ?And this is 1 of the core modules that lead to the CISSP.

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    If anyone knows anything on this certification I'd like to know as well seems like a worthwhile certification...
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I really don't have a clear opinion on this body and certifications yet. If you look them up they're based out of Geneva Illinois which is a suburb of Chicago (here). I met the owner of SCP after my presentation at Chicagocon last year, but I really didn't get any "clear" answers about the program. If enough people here show serious interest, I'll definitely give them a call and dig into it a little deeper.

Keatron.
  • YujYuj Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm definitely interested in these SCP programes.I really hope to get more info about this certification.Thanks in advance!!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was actually waiting for you to chime in because I was curious to see what you had to say about this. Yuj's post was the first I've heard of this certification, and I've been having a hard time finding anything out about it.

What I don't like:
    • There is no information for SCP, Security Certified Program, or SCNS on Wikipedia
    • A google query for SCNS has this thread as the 15th result (with many of the previous results not being relevant)
    • Amazon doesn't have a single item for the SCNS
    • They don't have any training providers in my entire state
    • There are only a few listings on Dice and Monster that mention any of the certifications (none of the entry-level, and most hits for SCNA are for Sun Certified Network Administrator)
    • Their logo is terrible. Why didn't they just shorten the bar on the P and keep the top horizontal? Bending the C over the P looks ridiculous
    Is this something that is just getting started? It really doesn't look good at first glance...

edit: archive.org has records of the site going back to 2001, and it looks like they have offered certifications from the beginning.
    This is the website and it is all.
    http://www.securitycertified.net

And is true that there are few listing about this cert on monster....that's make me more curious about the course!! icon_wink.gif
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    dynamik wrote:
    I was actually waiting for you to chime in because I was curious to see what you had to say about this. Yuj's post was the first I've heard of this certification, and I've been having a hard time finding anything out about it.

Haha, guess I'm not the only one that was waiting to hear if Keatron had any inside information on it. I did not recognize the cert when I first read this thread either and almost posted saying I can't wait to hear his response.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Schluep wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Haha, guess I'm not the only one that was waiting to hear if Keatron had any inside information on it. I did not recognize the cert when I first read this thread either and almost posted saying I can't wait to hear his response.

I'd have to say there are quite a few inquiring minds for this certification :D....once I finish up a few certifications and start my masters in the fall I'll definitely be looking for a good cert or two to compliment my graduate studies.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you search the TE forums for SCNP you'll find postings from me a couple of years ago (like this one) when I took a SCNP prep class at a community college for one of the two exams (HTI) required to get the SCNP cert. I decided not to pursue the SCNP cert because of several of the reasons that dynamik mentioned. I was also not happy that the text for the class was only available from one publisher and was not nearly worth the $170US charged for it. The lessons are the basics of networking and "hacking," but very weak on tool use. Nothing impressive at all.

The final cost of the SCNP cert as compared to the few mentions of it on the popular job boards had me decide it was not an economical or advantageous cert to pursue. At the same time I also looked at the TICSA security cert and came to about the same conclusions. The CEH and CPTS certs look to be far more complete, recognized, and worth the time and money to obtain.
    Thanks guys!!I think it is not an option to start the SCNS.Actually i'm scheduled to attend the course in next few weeks so now i'm going to call it off!!

So i think it is far more better if i choose CCSA or CEH 1st.Once again thank you very much!!And as for the EC certs,i really hope to do the CNSA,but unfortunately the training centers in Singapore don't carry this. icon_cry.gif