New Member, Book advice

neverdyeneverdye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been reading these forums for CCNA and also NeT+ for a few weeks now. (NeT+ for current job...fully paid training+test, CCNA for future job search).

I have been looking to get book(s) to study for CCNA, and have a question. The Symbex books seem to be extremely highly recommended on here, so I went to Borders last night. I saw two different books and was a little confused on which to get. They are both paper back, but one was "CCNA 802" and the other was "Quick pass" (i think thats the name). The quick pass had about 500 less pages in it. Both had CD's. I was just wondering which you guys would recommend.

To give a little background, I am currently a System Admin for over 8,000 users. I have been working with Cisco equipment for 3 years now. I have a strong grasp on the day-to-day uses of the equipment we have, but fall short on alot of the WAN stuff. (as it's centrally controlled elsewhere).

Thanks in advance for the advice and look forward to spending more time here.

Zach
Next on the list : Security+
CCNA

Comments

• 127.0.0.1127.0.0.1 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    neverdye wrote:
    I have been reading these forums for CCNA and also NeT+ for a few weeks now. (NeT+ for current job...fully paid training+test, CCNA for future job search).

I have been looking to get book(s) to study for CCNA, and have a question. The Symbex books seem to be extremely highly recommended on here, so I went to Borders last night. I saw two different books and was a little confused on which to get. They are both paper back, but one was "CCNA 802" and the other was "Quick pass" (i think thats the name). The quick pass had about 500 less pages in it. Both had CD's. I was just wondering which you guys would recommend.

To give a little background, I am currently a System Admin for over 8,000 users. I have been working with Cisco equipment for 3 years now. I have a strong grasp on the day-to-day uses of the equipment we have, but fall short on alot of the WAN stuff. (as it's centrally controlled elsewhere).

Thanks in advance for the advice and look forward to spending more time here.

Zach

Hello Zach,

Welcome to the TechExams forums. I suppose you are talking about the Sybex CCNA books, right? (there is no Symbex company that publishes Cisco books).

I have the Sybex CCNA 640-802 book, and it's a really great book! I would recommend you to just get the full book instead of getting the quick pass edition. The quick pass ommits a lot of information, as you can tell by the less pages that it has. I haven't heard good reviews of it either.

If you want to get a Sybex book, stick to getting the full edition! I also tried the Cisco Press Certification Guide books by Wendell Odom and I liked it better because Wendell Odom did a good job explaining the concepts and covering all the exam topics! You can check out his books at http://www.ciscopress.com . Good luck with that CCNA! :)