HWIC-AP-GE setup

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
It's a brand new card installed in a cisco 1841 router. I cannot find any documentation on how to further configure this interface or what I need to do to make the router recognize it, currently no lights on or anything. The IOS image is c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-18.bin - which according to this - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps6246/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028cc7b.html - is perfectly fine for this card.

Any pointers?

Cheers,
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Further addition:-

*Feb 25 12:09:59.327: %CFG-3-CARD_NOT_SUPPORTED: Slot 1: Unknown WAN daughter card, Part# 73-9388-4, HW-Rev 1.0, Board-Rev D
    0, S/N FOC11487CMAsslinit fn

found on bootup. Looks like it isnt recognized then even though the card should be correct for the router and the IOS is deffinately an ok version
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco 1800 (Modular) Series
    1st release of Cisco IOS 12.4(2) T

The Access Point HWICs are supported in all of the "K9" Cisco IOS feature sets.

You need a technology train image to use this HWIC card. The 802.11 Standards feature
    set is not included in the early deployment of 12.4. Cisco is saying that the AP HWICS are
    supported in any K9 image of 12.4T later then individual release 2.

Tech train images are basically beta versions of new technology, that of which will be
    standard in 12.5 This is how the life cycle of the IOS software spins ;)

Get a 12.4(2)T or later image and you'll be able to rock and roll ;)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Cisco 1800 (Modular) Series
    1st release of Cisco IOS 12.4(2) T

The Access Point HWICs are supported in all of the "K9" Cisco IOS feature sets.

You need a technology train image to use this HWIC card. The 802.11 Standards feature
    set is not included in the early deployment of 12.4. Cisco is saying that the AP HWICS are
    supported in any K9 image of 12.4T later then individual release 2.

Tech train images are basically beta versions of new technology, that of which will be
    standard in 12.5 This is how the life cycle of the IOS software spins ;)

Get a 12.4(2)T or later image and you'll be able to rock and roll ;)

Hey Matt,

This is the latest realease of the advanced security image (which is required by our end customer). From the show tech:-

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(1icon_cool.gif, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 30-Nov-07 14:38 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 20 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-18.bin"

It is 12.4(13r)T which should mean we are good. This card is definately compatabile with this router....could this be a doa seeing as we elimiated the main two reasons its not recognized?
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't have to tell it what type of controller it is do you?

I know on the 3825's that I have worked on, I had to tell the router what type of HVWIC (in my case it was a 2MFT-T1) before it would recognize it.

I could be totally off though.....

What does show version spit out as far as what modules are installed?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Show diag give you anything?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    actually cancel my last post, the image is indeed not the right one to get compatability with this card and give me advanced security features. but i have a new dilema, i have limited flash memory and the latest releases clock up to 29mb.

show flash: all

-#- --length--
    date/time
    path
    1 1821 Jan 7 2008 19:17:44 +00:00 sdmconfig-18xx.cfg
    2 861696 Jan 7 2008 19:18:06 +00:00 es.tar
    3 1164288 Jan 7 2008 19:18:28 +00:00 common.tar
    4 1038 Jan 7 2008 19:18:46 +00:00 home.shtml
    5 113152 Jan 7 2008 19:19:04 +00:00 home.tar

My question is, common.tar, is it really needed?
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those other files are used by SDM (including common.tar)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:

ahh ok thanks DT, need to keep them then.

Matt: Big thanks, you are indeed correct and apparently my lack of cisco work this year made me misread the IOS software information.

I am now running image version c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-11.T4.bin and the wireless card is recognised straight off and I keep all my required security features.

Thanks all,
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    dtlokee wrote:

ahh ok thanks DT, need to keep them then.

Matt: Big thanks, you are indeed correct and apparently my lack of cisco work this year made me misread the IOS software information.

I am now running image version c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-11.T4.bin and the wireless card is recognised straight off and I keep all my required security features.

Thanks all,

:) glad to help, when you work with different ios versions and feature sets daily, it tends to
    become a big part of your first troubleshooting step icon_rolleyes.gif

When 12.5 comes out that should be a mainline feature in any k9 image.

I personally am not a fan of tech train images, granted they play a major role in mainline
    development, they tend to be buggy and some times crash. my motto is;
    only ride the train when you need to icon_lol.gif

I remember reading about a year or so ago that you wont get exam questions on tech train
    image features. Not 100% sure of this but ill see if i can find out ^_^ But I've personally
    never seen exam questions based soley on tech train image features.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • alienkidmj12alienkidmj12 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    could anyone point me in the direction of which ios would support 2801 services router with a wireless hwic card, im going to be doing telephone soon also, so both supported would be best. what latest ios version could i use ?
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Holy resurrection Batman!

I recommend using this site for any questions like that: Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems