Argggg....boring. (CWNA)

Is it just me or is learning about RF and trying to memorize literally 100+ different 802.11 acronyms incredibly boring? I'm half way through the Sybex book and I'm thinking about switching over to the Official McGraw Hill book.

My revised plan:
- Do the Official McGraw Hill Book (2 weeks)
- Do the CBT Nugget (1 week)
- Study notes/practice test (1 week)
- Take test.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That does sound to me like a singularly boring activity.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Ah, you've discovered one of the major hurdles of education: forcing yourself to learn material that you do not find interesting.

Many of the classes we all took in college were about subjects that we didn't find interesting (and still don't), but somehow we got through it with a passing grade (or not). When necessary, we found ways to study that allowed us to write papers and pass exams. Remember what you did to pull yourself through boring classes in school and apply those study skills to IT certification exams too.

One other thing to consider is that you may not be in the right place in your education to study for a specific certification exam. If you find some other type of certification material much more interesting (Cisco networking, Microsoft server, firewalls, database admin, etc.), it might be a much more efficient use of your time to go for a different, more interesting cert. Only you can decide that.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In addition to what JD said, and kind of along the same lines, if you are finding the material for a particular exam boring in its entirety, you may want to reexamine your motives for taking it in the first place. If you are finding the subject as a whole boring, you probably won't ever be great at it, even if you pass the exam, simply because it seems that may not be where your heart is. Someone on here has a quote that goes something like, "if you do what you love you never have to work a day in your life." It is very easy to be successful if you are doing what you love simply because you won't have much trouble gaining a competitive advantage over others., with or without a cert. Just my nickel worth..do with it what you will... :)
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I have lots of other stuff I love to study and things i like to work on...I just find the CWNA curriculum incredibly boring icon_sad.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should probably move onto something else you like to study. I know I find it way easier to study thing that interest me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Gfactor21Gfactor21 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey JD where did you find material to study for your PDI+ exam
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nl wrote:
    Is it just me or is learning about RF and trying to memorize literally 100+ different 802.11 acronyms incredibly boring? I'm half way through the Sybex book and I'm thinking about switching over to the Official McGraw Hill book.

My revised plan:
    - Do the Official McGraw Hill Book (2 weeks)
    - Do the CBT Nugget (1 week)
    - Study notes/practice test (1 week)
    - Take test.

The CWNA covers the stuff you find boring. I have read both books (the Sybex and the Official Study Guide) and the Sybex book has more in it that fills in the gaps of the Study Guide. Alone, either book misses some of what is on the test, you should read both to fill in the gaps.

And as others have said, if you find it so boring that you can't focus on it, find something to take your mind off of it for a while. Go to the gym, a movie or whatever and then you can come back to the material with a new outlook. The acronyms are important as they are used in the test and throughout the industry, just don't burn out trying to study.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Gfactor21 wrote:
    Hey JD where did you find material to study for your PDI+ exam
    That info is in these discussions:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25414
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25948