distribute list change

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a distribute list in router config mode for EIGRP. This list basically blocks some static routes from being redistributed into eigrp and causing loops.

Now I have to change the access-list that the distribute-list calls to define what to block. I need to add an entry.

My question is, if I clear out this access-list to modify it, is that going to simultaneously kill my distribute-list in EIGRP config mode and cause DUAL to recalculate the topo table and send out an update?

Because if that happens I will get loops to critical servers and that won;t jive.

So I think lesson learned here is use a named ACL for potentially dynamic ACL's????????
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    I have a distribute list in router config mode for EIGRP. This list basically blocks some static routes from being redistributed into eigrp and causing loops.

Now I have to change the access-list that the distribute-list calls to define what to block. I need to add an entry.

My question is, if I clear out this access-list to modify it, is that going to simultaneously kill my distribute-list in EIGRP config mode and cause DUAL to recalculate the topo table and send out an update?

Because if that happens I will get loops to critical servers and that won;t jive.

So I think lesson learned here is use a named ACL for potentially dynamic ACL's????????

ACLs take effect immediately. Perhaps create a new ACL and modify your distribute-list to use the new ACL when you have it ready.... This way you can immediately return to the old ACL if you screw something up. I would recommend scheduling downtime for this if possible.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on the IOS version you can edit a numbered ACL just like a named ACL.

(config)# ip access-list standard 10
    (config-std-nacl)#

Then you can use the "no <sequence number>" command to drop the entries you don't want
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Depending on the IOS version you can edit a numbered ACL just like a named ACL.

(config)# ip access-list standard 10
    (config-std-nacl)#

Then you can use the "no <sequence number>" command to drop the entries you don't want

Hah. That's sweet. I didn't know you could do that. As always, DT has the answers....
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey that worked like a charm. No interruptions at all. Thanks. I'll have to jot that one down in my mental notes.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!