9 Day's to First R&S Lab Attempt

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
Well, the real countdown to my lab attempt is here. I'll be flying to San Jose next Wednesday so I don't have to worry with travel problems, because my lab is on Friday (the 7th).

I feel very confident and ready to rock it out. I, of course, am not so high that I'll be crushed if I don't meet with success. I have 2008 mapped out. I figure I have time for 3 solid attempts this year (if needed). That will give me plenty of time in between attempts to brush up on whatever the previous attempt deemed was a weak area.

I have put in an estimated 1600 hours of study/lab time over the last 14 months since I began my R&S lab studies. Yes, basically I have absolutely no life outside of CCIE & work. The previous year I passed the CCNA & CCNP.

Anyway, my nerves are starting to shake a little bit, but nothing to worry with. I'm trying to decide what to focus on this weekend. I don't feel I necessarily have any weak points, so I reckon I'll just do a couple labs and maybe watch a few CoD's. Of course, I'm sure some weak points might show up on my score-card! Well, hopefully not.

No worries, I'll let everyone know what they serve for lunch! :):)

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good job with the hard core prep. It takes a lot of dedication to put that much time in over only 14 months.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • J0eJ0e Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck M8, you deserved it icon_thumright.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck man! Hopefully we will here your success story in the comming days. If not its just more ammunition for your next attempt.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck and the best advice I can give you is to draw your own diagrams, and don't just copy the one they give you. Draw out a physical diagram and a logical (L2/L3) vlan diagram and you'll be fine.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go get 'em! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Get er' done!
  • dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Good luck and bring home the bacon!!
    Focused and Steady.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    best of luck :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck MrD, you have been mighty quiet on the forums of late and I guess this is why. We wanna see a number :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Hell to the yes! I love bacon :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Have you taken any mock labs?

Good Luck
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck and beware of the rubber chicken! :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

good luck, man!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Dynamik I love the flow-chart!

I have not taken any mock labs. I've gone through all of InternetworkExpert's Advanced Tech, Core, & full Labs, as well as many labs of my own making.

I was thinking about doing Cisco's mock lab, but I haven't. I haven't taken any traning classes or boot camps either. I'm probably going to take Narbik's class whether I pass or not, but if I don't pass I definitely will take it.

http://www.micronicstraining.com/ccie-routing-switching-lab.html
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Rock on, MrD. You know we're all pulling for you. (No more bacon until you bring home that CCIE number. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

Lunch isn't an issue in San Jose -- you get to go for a group walk to the cafeteria where you have your $10 lunch voucher to spend on what ever you want. They usually have the Personal Pizza, some sort of Noodle Bowls, etc. I think there was a grill where you could get a burger, and then there are a couple more "stations" that probably vary their offerings. Lots of healthy juices, fruit, and snacks are available. If you're not close to the $10 limit, some of the cashiers will suggest you run back and grab something else :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    That's awesome Mike! I'm all about the food selections! :)

As far as not having bacon until I get the #...I've sacrificed a lot of things in my pursuit, but I'm not giving up my food! :)
  • dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    If they have Papa John's, go for that. DT conquered the IE when he had pizza.
    So pizza = bacon.
    Focused and Steady.
  • mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You live in TN and you're not going to RTP?
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Good luck MrD we're all routing for ya :D
    Well, I sure do appreciate all the support! Most of the people I know dislike my drive :)

Oh well, the lazy bastards! haha

Yeah, I live in TN. RTP was booked up when I scheduled the lab. Plus, I've never been to Cali! Of course, I probably won't enjoy the sites very much...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MrD wrote:
    Well, I sure do appreciate all the support! Most of the people I know dislike my drive :)

icon_twisted.gifJEALOUSY icon_twisted.gif

MrD. Irritating couch-potatoes since 2008.
  • damsel_in_tha_netdamsel_in_tha_net Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it's about time for the war report!
    Well, I just completed IEWB's Lab 16. What a great lab! It seemed to hit all of the topics that I could possibly have issues with. For all of you out there with InternetworkExpert's workbook I suggest skipping to lab 16!

Anyway, definitely starting to feel the ole' nerves as Friday approaches. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be pulling a couple of long shifts Monday & Tuesday, so I won't get much study time. Of course, if I'm not ready by now a couple more days probably won't make the difference.

Alright, time to grab a bite to eat, do some laundry and watch some CoD's :)
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Good luck Mr D hope you kill it.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck, bring back a number or a plan for the next assault, both are worth the money.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Time to say hello and wish you a good trip and lab ;)

Good luck !
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
    I just got to the hotel in San Jose. Flight was ok as it was non-stop, but there was a woman behind me coughing up a lung the entire friggin time. I'm a germ-a-phobe so that sucked!

I've listened to the whole IEWB audio-books today which hit some pretty good points I thought. Not much of the "think about this & that" in the series I listened to.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fill the next day and a half. I figure I'll walk over to the Cisco location to scope it out. It's only 3 miles away...staying in the Embassy Suites. They tried charging me $30 for Internet, but I slid out of that one!

P.S. The hotel is going through renovations, so there is quite a bit of dust. There is also no access to the gym or pool, although they have free passes to the Hilton down the road and a nearby 24-hour fitness. The hotel room itself is really pretty nice minus the 12" tv. Not sure of it's exact size, but it's pretty small haha.

---Time to go find some grub!
    I just finished an AWESOME QoS Review! Touched most major topics including legacy. I'm starting to get a headache, so I think I'm gonna call it a night. Maybe go grab a steak at Sizzler next door, then watch some TV. I think I'm going to do a multicast review and a core lab tomorrow which focuses on end-to-end connectivity.

Anyway, that's about it I reckon. Feeling pretty good about the whole situation. Feeling very confident...trying to think of anything I should lab up tomorrow, but I'm strong on it all, so it's all good! :)