another dumb question.

gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
How do i get access to the new ios software from cisco.com. I already register but i keeps saying that i dont have the previledges to do this.
‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
you'll never get it done"

Comments

• initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Believe you need a SmartNet account to get IOSs from Cisco.
    Regg'

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Yeah, you should be able to upgrade your account if you have a valid serial number of a cisco device that is under a contract.
  • gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
    AlanJames wrote:
    Yeah, you should be able to upgrade your account if you have a valid serial number of a cisco device that is under a contract.

What if I dont have a device that is under a contract. This routers I bought from ebay.
    ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
    you'll never get it done"
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not a dumb question -- but there really isn't a good answer other than "you need a SmartNet contract." And with the 2500s being retired a long time ago -- that may not be an option anymore.
    Webmaster wrote:
    This is, as we mentioned several times in similar topics in these forums, why it's important to buy equipment that contains a current version. If you copy one from the other for educational purposes, fine that's up to you. I did that too in my home lab, but:

icon_exclaim.gif We do not tolerate illegal distribution of software in these forums (NOR BY PM), which includes Cisco IOS.

Someone will probably mention IOS Hunter -- which is a "shareware" program to steal old IOS images off of P2P networks -- but if you pay $$ and register, you get to steal more recent versions too. icon_eek.gif Someone will probably combine the two word name (1st word IOS) into one word to bypass the filter..... and I'll moderate it if/when that happens.

Some vendors were shipping "backup copies" of IOS files on CDs with hardware purchases -- but mentioning that it was the responsibility of the buy to properly license the software.... Other vendors do upgrade their hardware to more recent versions (depending on memory) -- but to be "legal" you'd still need to get your own license.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Cisco: Nickel-and-diming everyone since 1986.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As already mentioned, you need a smartnet contract to get the latest IOS for your device. Also, you can purchase specific feature set IOS for your device in certant cases rather than opt for a smartnet contract.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.