BCMSN

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
So, I just started reading the BCMSN book by Froom, Sivasubramanian and Frahim. I've read chapter 1 so far and the whole thing has seemed like a corporate advertisement. It's full of buzzwords and pointy-haired-manager talk.

Is the whole book like this or does it get to actual networking topics at some point? I don't think I could stand an entire book full of "The widespread effect of the newly gained efficiencies across the network offers increased flexibility and scalability, thus creating a significant impact on growth, customer loyalty, and profitability - thereby improving the overall ability to compete."

Now, I'm not saying that I don't think that the business side of things is important. I realize and understand that it's very important. But that wasn't what I bought this book for.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing?
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The introduction of pretty much all the CCNP books is SONA and IIN. So the first chapter or so of all the books are pretty much about the same thing.

Don't worry it will get to the good stuff in the comming chapters icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    lol, Yes I noticed that also SONA and IIN ....keep reading good stuff is coming up, you can always skip it
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Yeah it is a bit of a marketing tool.... but it's good to have some base knowledge in the enterprise architectures that Cisco are trying to push (E.G - SONA & IIN and how they are moving away from AVVID structure slowly)

I'm up to chapter 7 at the moment and it's really starting to get interesting!!! I don't think I have even got to the best bits yet :)

Keep at it mate.... it does get better...... icon_wink.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Skip it. I don't even read the first chapter of most Cisco books due to that junk.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    The books always reference the access module, distribution module and the core or backbone. As long as you know what goes on in those modules you should be good.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Rearden wrote:
    So, I just started reading the BCMSN book by Froom, Sivasubramanian and Frahim. I've read chapter 1 so far and the whole thing has seemed like a corporate advertisement. It's full of buzzwords and pointy-haired-manager talk.

Is the whole book like this or does it get to actual networking topics at some point? I don't think I could stand an entire book full of "The widespread effect of the newly gained efficiencies across the network offers increased flexibility and scalability, thus creating a significant impact on growth, customer loyalty, and profitability - thereby improving the overall ability to compete."

Now, I'm not saying that I don't think that the business side of things is important. I realize and understand that it's very important. But that wasn't what I bought this book for.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing?

Rearden,

Keep in mind that the BCMSN exam is not only a requirement for the CCNP certificate but is also a requirement for the CCDP certificate.

Source:
    1. CCNP Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html
    2. CCDP Certification - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le5/learning_certification_type_home.html
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what version are you reading? I'm trying to decide how to supplement the ciscopress CCNP library and CBT nuggets. I like to read atleast two books on every test.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems chapter 3 in the Official Exam Certification Guide was where the interesting material started coming.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."