Passed Network+

Cmptch62Cmptch62 Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed the network+ today with a 591. Not a good score but a pass is a pass(3rd attempt).
The exam was extremely wordy,alot of novell, Apple,and Mac questions.
Used the technotes from this site,Examcram2, Sybex, measureup and Selftestsoftware practice questions.
Thank you all on TecExams.Net you have been really helpful ! :D:D
I don't have any IT experience just wanted to know what should be my next cert?
Security+ or 70-270? [/b]

Comments

• ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Hey good job on the exam a pass is a pass.

I would go 270
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cmptch62 wrote:
    The exam was extremely wordy,alot of novell [/b]

That's the second post today that mentioned Novell questions.

Gee, does CompTIA know what year this is?

Anyhow, congrats on the pass!
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    The reason why its still like this is that this is a neutral test unlike cisco which is vendor specific tests. Your going to have a broad range of questions.

And Novell Is still in use in a buch of places. NJ state police runs on Novell for example.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • AnwardAnward Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Congrats on your pass. dont worry about score the good thing is that the exam is now behind u and u can now relax and clear ur mind. i would go for security+ i heard its a really good cert to have plus it counts as one of the electives in mcsa/mcse. i'm taking mines tomorrow at noon, thanx for ur post it give me the confidence to handle my bizz tomorrow :D

GOOD LUCK to all other test takers my prayers are with us all!!!
    Remember that when things seems to be going against you, remember that the plane takes off against the wind and not with it
  • 416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I felt confident about the material, I know the OSI 7 layers in and out, but during half way of the test my confident went downhill. Most of the material on the test was not mentioned on Mike Meyers all-in-one and the test was extreamly wordy. Most of the time was spent trying to figure out what the question really meant.

As soon as I hit the finish button I was ready to accept a fail, but instead I passed with a 554 right on the passing mark...couldn't believe it. I'm not happy or anything...just glad I don't have to take it a second time and waste another $225 cad.

Depending on what you want to do in the near future, I'd choose to do MCP 70-270 since A+ and Network+ counts as an elective towards MCSA...once you get 70-270 all you'll need is 70-290 & 70-291 and you'll have your MCSA :D

edit: and not to mention Microsoft right now has a second shot promotion going on, just in case if you don't pass your first try you get a free retake! http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certainly comes down to what you want to do with yourself.

Desktop/Server Services, Database, programing and Networking are generally the directions you need to choose from. And each one of those falls into specialties camps you need to pick from. And then even more choices...

Deskop/Server
    Windows 2003 Line up (XP, 2003)
    Windows 2008 Line up (Vista, 200icon_cool.gif
    Linux - Novel-Suse
    Linux - Red Hat

Database
    Microsoft SQL Server
    Oracle
    MySQL

Programming
    Microsoft .net
    Sun Java

Networking
    Cisco
    Telecom stuff that I know nothing about...

Check your local job market see what people are looking for. Print up your "dream" jobs and see how you can make your certs better qualified for that job.

Generally though, and speaking more for myself, you might want to start with the Vista exam. It applies toward both the MCSA, MCSE and MCITP paths from Microsoft, so it's the most versatile Microsoft exam you can take. I wouldn't bother with the XP exam, unless you see yourself working with XP a lot over the next year and think it will pad your resume well.
    -Daniel