CCIE R&S written on Friday

remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
After reviewing the CBT Nuggets (it covered some old material as well as reviewed topics I know from CCNP) and breaking down multicasting & LSA types I have finally scheduled my CCIE written test for Friday. I would not even be scheduling this test if I had my choice, but my current Advanced Internetworking Practicum course requires it to be completed by the end of this month. If I had it my way, I would be try to be far more prepared for the Lab first, but no fears I do have plenty of time. The class utilizes the NetMaster Class Labs, so we are preparing for the lab. Being a college student I do not have the funds to take the lab anyways right now. Hopefully work will pay for it.

After reading the blueprint and going over LSA and multicasting in great detail (since I have heard from several articles that they stress these two topics), I hope all goes well.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    best of luck icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ditto here! :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Well I passed but honestly it was nothing too bad. Take the important topics of the 4 CCNP tests and really focus on them, and well you got the written. This is nothing compared to the lab. I have maybe a little over a hundred hours of lab time under my belt working on material for the CCIE. I will put about 40 hours a week into my lab work assessing my weaknesses and such. Once I graduate in May and start my training program at work I might go for the lab depending on what the training program focuses on and such.

At least I finished it in order to fulfill part of my independent study's requirements. Hell, I really feel like i have nailed down my Conceptual foundation preparing for this all. I am kind of drained from this Cert fever. In the process I might finally finish up some studies on SNPA, SNRS, and SND since I have completed courses for each here at college. I just never had the time to take them. I hate leaving the CCIE in the air, but I know I am not ready yet.
  • damsel_in_tha_netdamsel_in_tha_net Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    remerolle wrote:
    Well I passed

Congratulations!
    icon_thumright.gif

Don't forget that the clock has started ticking
    Candidates must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18 months of passing the CCIE written exam.

But if you can't get a lab attempt in within that time, remember that it is cheaper to let it expire and then retake the written when you're closer to being ready.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, it was only "nothing too bad" because you put in the work.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    But if you can't get a lab attempt in within that time, remember that it is cheaper to let it expire and then retake the written when you're closer to being ready.

I was thinking the same thing. I start my management training program after graduation, and I figure I should wait until I talk to my manager in the networking group. I need some more Cisco experience under my belt. With the amount of amount of large (5,000 - 10,000 server) data centers, I am sure to get some valuable experience. They mostly employ a shitload of 6500s, which I am very excited to get my hands on!

Too bad they did not go for Cisco for Voice, I would have enjoyed working on that equipment some more out of the lab. I really have only setup a small 12 phone, 16 PC Cisco VoIP solution (audio & video) within our school lab. Though I will have access to my school's remote labs for some time after graduation, I would not be able to setup VoIP on them since they do not have it configured for it.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    good luck!!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    remerolle wrote:
    Well I passed but honestly it was nothing too bad. Take the important topics of the 4 CCNP tests and really focus on them, and well you got the written. This is nothing compared to the lab. I have maybe a little over a hundred hours of lab time under my belt working on material for the CCIE. I will put about 40 hours a week into my lab work assessing my weaknesses and such. Once I graduate in May and start my training program at work I might go for the lab depending on what the training program focuses on and such.

At least I finished it in order to fulfill part of my independent study's requirements. Hell, I really feel like i have nailed down my Conceptual foundation preparing for this all. I am kind of drained from this Cert fever. In the process I might finally finish up some studies on SNPA, SNRS, and SND since I have completed courses for each here at college. I just never had the time to take them. I hate leaving the CCIE in the air, but I know I am not ready yet.

Good luck with your lab prep. I see you are at college, are you studying networking fulltime there or are you doing that parttime along with a networking job?
  • remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am at college working part time on a networking job and studying IT (focusing on networking). My job involves consulting for small businesses and being a lab assistant tutoring and maintaining the campus networking lab.

Though we do not have a lone networking degree, the degree focuses on everything IT, and if you want to focus more so on networking, the sky is the limit.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    remerolle wrote:
    I am at college working part time on a networking job and studying IT (focusing on networking). My job involves consulting for small businesses and being a lab assistant tutoring and maintaining the campus networking lab.

Thought we do not have a lone networking degree, the degree focuses on everything IT, and if you want to focus more so on networking, the sky is the limit.

Sounds like an excellent arrangement to me. Good luck with your studies.