so confused about that DLCI

kokowawatotkokowawatot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello everybody

i'm taking my ccna exam in a week, and i need little help

i'm studying from sybex book mainly and the cisco book as a backup

it was going well until i came to frame relay ip/dlci static mapping

the config. command is as follows :-

frame-relay map ip (ip address) (dlci) broadcast

todd lammle says the ip address of the remote router is mapped with DLCI of my router

while wendell says the ip address of the remote router is mapped with the DLCI of the remote router

who do i believe?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you set up a frame relay lab you will understand the DLCI mappings a lot better than just reading it in a book. You can try the frame relay lab here on TechExams.net.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kokowawatotkokowawatot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that was fast

thanx mike , i found what i was lookin for right there icon_wink.gif

networker, thanx for the advice , i will do these labs after the exam , cuz no time for playin now icon_wink.gif
    No time for playing!!!!

It's not playing, its learning the material and implementing the technology. I hope you have at least done some labs before you go take the exam.
    networker, ofcourse i have done alot of labs , and they are very important for understanding the material , but as i said , i'm a week from my ccna , so no labs will help now for the exam questions , thats what i meant. thnx :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i'm a week from my ccna , so no labs will help now for the exam questions , thats what i meant.
    Actually, when people fail the exam, their lowest scores are usually in the sections that are mostly hands-on tasks -- so its lack of hand-on lab practice that causes most people to fail.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I've always found that labbing it up helps the knowledge stick. For instance frame relay, you set up the lab and you will realize why that is the DLCI you should be using for your link. With out actually labbing it up you are just memorizing facts rather than seeing how it all interacts.

Good luck on the exam!
  • ctdawsonctdawson Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you're doing static mapping the IP address you use is the IP of the interface your routing too and the dlci is the PVC you're using to get to the frame relay cloud.

frame-relay map ip (ip address) (dlci)

so in our example I would say...

frame-relay map ip (remoteIP) (local dlci)

What its saying is that to get to this remote IP I want to use this PVC(local dlci). When the frame relay switch recieves the packets on the specific pvc it knows to send it out the correct interface towards the router.

I just passed my ccna thursday and am in the semester 4 of the academy but still a bit new on the frame relay and when I was setting up the labs I used mainly dynamic mapping =\
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    To reinforce what has been said:

networker050184:
    I've always found that labbing it up helps the knowledge stick.
    mikej412
    Actually, when people fail the exam, their lowest scores are usually in the sections that are mostly hands-on tasks -- so its lack of hand-on lab practice that causes most people to fail.

The labs are what you need IMHO. They also prepare you for a possible simulation question.
    It's very good advice up there
    Anyways, good luck!
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    very thankful for your assistance