which job offer should i choose?

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi everybody,
I graduated as a net.Engineer. Now I have 3 opportunities:
-work in a national telecom infrastructure company: no job description yet, but one of the manager accepted to hire me.
-working in a networking private company: dealing with network design, Cisco routers& switches, microsoft servers, security, certification exams being paid... but they offered me a low salary (compared to the salary that my friends engineers earn)
-working in a private security company : dealing with Juniper appliances. 6/7 working days, nice salary.

I'd like to choose a job that would garantee a nice future for me+constant growth. What do you suggest?

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello,

I just want to start off saying this is a great problem to have - sounds like three great opportunities coming out as a graduate. You should consider yourself blessed.

Now for the advice. Which position interests you most, if you do not consider salary? That should weigh heavily in your decision. Also, at this point in your career, getting a broad variety of experience could be very beneficial to your future growth.

It is hard to say whether you should be concerned about not making the same as your friends. Are these friends that you speak of recent graduates and entry level engineers like yourself?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:

Now for the advice. Which position interests you most, if you do not consider salary? That should weigh heavily in your decision. Also, at this point in your career, getting a broad variety of experience could be very beneficial to your future growth.

Without considering salary, I would say choice 2 is the best. I think of getting experience in networking first (1-2 years) then climbing up Cisco certs, or going into security.
    It is hard to say whether you should be concerned about not making the same as your friends. Are these friends that you speak of recent graduates and entry level engineers like yourself?
    yes, we graduated from the same college, at the same period of time. But we have different future plans (some want immediate money, some want a stable position, some want to work overseas,...)[/quote]
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would choose the one that gets me experience in the area that I'm interested in(Cisco) and pays nicely, so that I could afford to go take those cert exams that I desperately need.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The second opportunity looks like a great first IT job. You will get exposure to a lot of different technologies. This will help you choose which road you want to go down in your career. Good luck on what ever position you choose!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for your posts. Now everything is clearer. :o
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hi everybody,
    I graduated as a net.Engineer. Now I have 3 opportunities:
    -work in a national telecom infrastructure company: no job description yet, but one of the manager accepted to hire me.
    -working in a networking private company: dealing with network design, Cisco routers& switches, microsoft servers, security, certification exams being paid... but they offered me a low salary (compared to the salary that my friends engineers earn)
    -working in a private security company : dealing with Juniper appliances. 6/7 working days, nice salary.

Man, i would choose option 1 or 2 over the private company. National Telecom infrastructure company would offer tons of WAN, Routing and Switching experience. You will def. be touching Cisco Gear.

Option 3, Juniper appliances, sounds interesting.

these two jobs give you experience that is more valuable in my opinion than what you would get with company 2.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller