About to be offered new job but one minor problem...

ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
Ok, I think I need some advice on this one... ;)

I'm about to be offered a new job but before it is offered I've been asked to fill out an online health questionnaire.

Now, one of the questions is "how many days off have you had the past 2 years?" and there reference to self certified or medically certified or a box for additional notes.

Right, well, I've had numerous operations in the past two years (3 months off for 2 retinal detachment ops and 5 weeks of for a serious eye infection which I was admitted over) which, without context, would make my sick leave days look REALLY bad. Plus some odd flu bouts here and there (nothing unusual really).

Ok. So I guess what I'm looking for here is whether I should be stating either only self certified, medically certified or both? Obviously medical certs are trackable via my GP (which they ask details for) but what about self certs with my current employer?

I don't want to lie AT ALL but I don't want to shot myself in the foot at the same time. Is sick leave something that is asked within reference requests to an employer?

Ugh, awesome job about to be offered and I've now got a sinking feeling this is going to bite me in the arse.

Damned eye is a curse!
~Thiassi

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    How would they know -- either call your hospital/doctor, which requires a release of information, or call your current employer, which i don't think they can tell them that??
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Isn't that against the law??
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Isn't that against the law??
    Probably not in the UK. I hear they will be putting security cameras in all of the public toilets starting next week. icon_lol.gif
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would be honest with them about the surgeries and major injuries, as well as your sick time. Just get medical records or at least tell them you are willing to show them your medical records for past major injuries, and explain they are not an issue anymore.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No reason to lie.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Isn't asking about your health BEFORE you get a job not permitted? Can't you say you don't want to disclose your medical history until actually having an offer?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Mishra wrote:
    Isn't asking about your health BEFORE you get a job not permitted? Can't you say you don't want to disclose your medical history until actually having an offer?

I'm sure in many parts of the world it is perfectly legal and acceptable, just like it is against the law in many others. As for the UK I am not sure, but it is something to check into Thiassi to check into. Also, just because it is legal to ask does not mean you are required to respond and you could state that you would prefer not to disclose the information.

Above all be honest. Whatever you say make sure it is the truth. If you choose not to disclose it that is your perogative, but definitely do not lie about it. I was sick for 6 years and am always honest about it with people and that has never come back to hurt me since. A few months should be easy to explain especially if you are admitted for it, had two operations performed, and the issue has been resolved. If the issue is not fully resolved then it will definitely be more of an issue to explain.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    wait whats this world thing you guys are talking about? the US is pretty big and doesn't really leave room for much else. The UK must be one of those silly islands in the Caribbean.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Schluep wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

I'm sure in many parts of the world it is perfectly legal and acceptable, just like it is against the law in many others. As for the UK I am not sure, but it is something to check into Thiassi to check into. Also, just because it is legal to ask does not mean you are required to respond and you could state that you would prefer not to disclose the information.

Above all be honest. Whatever you say make sure it is the truth. If you choose not to disclose it that is your perogative, but definitely do not lie about it. I was sick for 6 years and am always honest about it with people and that has never come back to hurt me since. A few months should be easy to explain especially if you are admitted for it, had two operations performed, and the issue has been resolved. If the issue is not fully resolved then it will definitely be more of an issue to explain.

I really never wanted to lie at all about it because, above all, it would most likely come back to haunt me after starting the job and it is simply a sackable offence.

The company sent me an online health questionnaire to fill out and it did have an option at the start as to whether I wanted to share this personal info. I don't imagine it would look too great if I had chosen not to disclose.

I was upfront about my previous and current problems. I'll see how it goes down tomorrow.

Que sera sera, I guess.
    ~Thiassi
    After a few queries about the condition and reassurances, I got offered the job today. :)
    ~Thiassi
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Honesty is alway the best policy
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thiassi wrote:
    After a few queries about the condition and reassurances, I got offered the job today. :)

excellent news! best of luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Congratulations on your job and doing the right thing.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Congratulations! Its nice to hear that honesty has proven to be the best policy.

Best of luck in the new post!

PS: You never mentioned what the job was??
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Thanks lads. I'm very happy about the prospect of a new challenge. :)

Sie wrote:
    Congratulations! Its nice to hear that honesty has proven to be the best policy.

Best of luck in the new post!

PS: You never mentioned what the job was??

Well, I've been in local Government for the past 7 years doing 1st/2nd support, the job I was just offered is a sole IT support role in a branch office doing 1st/2nd/3rd line support.

The package being offered wasn't too much more than what I'm currently on but money was never for wanting to leave.

I was really looking for more responsibility and to gain MUCH more experience from this new role. Plus the company has more career progress opportunities than in my current position. :)

Now just to get everything signed and then hand my 6 week (damn it) notice in hopefully on Monday.
    ~Thiassi
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Congrats and good luck with the new job!