The $2.3 million home lab of Scott Morris

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
Ok, maybe this has been posted before - in case, sorry about that. If not, it's a piece worth a read.

I can't say that I'm particularly envious of the lab. I just say to myself, "Why would I possibly need all this?" Last I read, he's a quadruple CCIE. (I was going to crack a dry joke here, but then I decided not to, since his accomplishments shouldn't be sullied with jokes, IMHO).

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/16960
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I checked his stuff out a while ago on his site: http://smorris.uber-geek.net/

Pretty crazy. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want all that equipment, but on the same note, I surely don't NEED it. I'd rather put $2.3 million in an IRA to retire comfortably!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Scott has posted here in the past (member name Uber-Geek) and he still reads the forums here on occasion, so be careful what you say about him. icon_wink.gif

I think he might already have 2.3 million in an IRA Mrock. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Oh heck yeah! I'd love to have that kind of gear to lab on, and use in consulting testing etc...

He even has his own AS! That's kickin' man...

One day.. :)
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bah, I'd build one too if I had the money. ;)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The majority of this lab was disamantled and moved somewhere, I'm thinking Chicago if I
    remember correctly, not 100% sure though. (or so i was told)

The black APC 3000 ups in rack 1 and the white APC 3000 ups in rack 3 were given to a buddy
    which in turn gave them to me lol!!! I have 3 APC UPS 3000's in my back room that require
    30AMP 120v >.< The face plate got busted on the black one from slamming against the back of
    the truck bed icon_eek.gif but they've been sitting in the backroom for over 3 months icon_rolleyes.gif

On the bright side, his cable management skills are as just as bad as mine icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    He must have a high electricity bill.

Maybe he should invest in a decent cabling soloution
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As far as the cabling goes..it's a lab, not a production environment. I kind of expect the cabling to be hell, as it's probably changed around a lot.

As far as the IRA..I'm sure he probably has a nice IRA..but I was talking about ME! :)
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:
    As far as the cabling goes..it's a lab, not a production environment. I kind of expect the cabling to be hell, as it's probably changed around a lot.

As far as the IRA..I'm sure he probably has a nice IRA..but I was talking about ME! :)

If you read his site it does say he is hosting some stuff for clients on there, so it is production on some parts....in other words his cabling is terrible, although i cant comment...you cant see network equipment in some of the racks i work on :p
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    very impressive! kinda makes my lab look weak and puny icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd seen pictures of his lab before, but I had no idea it was worth that much money. (Well, the equipment was probably worth that when it was new, but still.)

Reminds me of a joke, but I'm going to slightly alter it:
    "Get us a crimper, some cabling, and a UPS."
    "Get us the machine that goes PING."
    "And get the most expensive machine on the network, in case the administrator comes."

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    And you have to love the comments below the article, all complaining about his equipment. Especially the one calling him pathetic, the one by "anonymous". Isn't it nice to see that professionalism and common courtesy are alive and well in IT, making sure our industry doesn't get that stigma of being "snotty young punk's work" when compared to something like law, medicine, architecture, etc? icon_confused.gif

• CCIE-4-HIRECCIE-4-HIRE Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The truth is that Scott Morris is very humble for one of any stature. I've met him and I thought he was quite the gentleman and very pleasant. I'm sorry those who cannot appreciate his dedication and commitment are allowed to post so anonymously.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow. Those comments are unbelievable, it has to be a bunch of kiddies trolling or I guess idiots just looking for a diversion from their own failures.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Im not a Cisco / Networking guy really but even I have to say thats impressive.

What wasnt was the comments and notes left on the pages.

Its disgusting if you ask me, After what he has achieved he gets name called etc by people who would know what half the things are rather than how to set them up.

Personally I think he deserves a icon_thumright.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I guess we know where Scott stands on the buying your own lab vs. renting a lab argument icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:
    I checked his stuff out a while ago on his site: http://smorris.uber-geek.net/

Pretty crazy. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want all that equipment, but on the same note, I surely don't NEED it. I'd rather put $2.3 million in an IRA to retire comfortably!

Sure wouldn't want his power bill! :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

AlanJames wrote:
    Maybe he should invest in a decent cabling soloution
    I had toyed with the idea of posting photos of my lab, but I guess I'll wait until my cabling guy comes up with a better cabling solution. icon_confused.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    I had toyed with the idea of posting photos of my lab, but I guess I'll wait until my cabling guy comes up with a better cabling solution. icon_confused.gif

Funny, my cabling-guy looks very similar.

• BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    yeah... um... wow

I just won a 2500 router off of ebay.... I guess thats a start...
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you guys even think he cares what some anonymous replies say about him? the article is about his TWO POINT THREE MILLION DOLLAR LAB. I seriously doubt anyone on that site or any site has the cash to spend on a lab half as equipped as his.

I'd love to know how far that lab has come towards paying for itself given that he hosts customers/rack rentals on it. I'm sure I'll be logging into his rack when I pick up the juniper certs again.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so how much is the home surrounding it worth ? icon_cool.gif
    rm -rf /
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Do you guys even think he cares what some anonymous replies say about him? the article is about his TWO POINT THREE MILLION DOLLAR LAB. I seriously doubt anyone on that site or any site has the cash to spend on a lab half as equipped as his.

I don't know. He probably doesn't cry himself to sleep over it, but I'd imagine it would be irritating to have a bunch of nubs belittling your accomplishments. He does take the time to respond to some of it.

He seems like a down to earth guy, and he's not rubbing it in anyone's face. I'm not sure why he's soliciting so many of those responses. It's a shame that it's happening.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jealousy. I don't know why he even bothers responding. The higher you go the more people try to knock you down. That comes with success.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    personally i have nothing but respect for what he's been able to achieve

and his basement .....
    rm -rf /
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wonder how much his electricity bill is? - I suppose it helps that the equipment is in his basement, it would be hard to steal!

LOL.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese