Options

CCNP Cisco Press books

PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
So I have been doing some research as I am going to be on my CCNP journey before too long. When i was studying for my CCNA, i found the Cisco Press books too really exceed my expectations. I know to take reviews from Amazon or the like "with a grain of salt". My slight concern is that from my reading it seems the CCNP set of Cisco Press books the biggest complaint was the lack of some critical info, including stuff about IPv6 and Multicasting.. etc.

So whoever has the cisco press books and used them to obtain your CCNP.. how right are they?

Also a side question.. CBT's.. I have heard great things about TrainSignal & CBT nuggets for the CCNP track.. anyone have any bias towards one or the other?
CCIE - COMPLETED!

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets are good to supplement your reading with. I am using the Cisco press books, CBT, and Routing TCP/IP Volume 1
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Cisco Press CCNP books contain info about multicasting and IPv6 both. I would recommend you supplement the CCNP library with Routing TCP/IP Volume I and II by Doyle.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The Cisco Press books and the Cisco Docs are all you need to learn all the material. The Docs are the most underated study material IMO. Most people buy bunches of books, but you can find most of the information you need for free in the Docs.

Good luck on your CCNP!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    The Routing TCP/IP book says it's a CCIE book. How much of overkill is it for CCNP? The reason I ask is I'm worried about it making a lot of assumptions on prior knowledge that CCIE candidates would have that I don't.

Although, I'm taking BCMSN first, so I guess I can worry about it after I'm done with that one.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once you are above the entry level certification you really should be supplementing your reading with other materials anyway. There's just no way for an exam cert guide to cover all of the topics in the necessary depth.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rearden wrote:
    The Routing TCP/IP book says it's a CCIE book. How much of overkill is it for CCNP? The reason I ask is I'm worried about it making a lot of assumptions on prior knowledge that CCIE candidates would have that I don't.

Although, I'm taking BCMSN first, so I guess I can worry about it after I'm done with that one.

What's in the BSCI study guides probably covers 60-70% of what's in the Routing TCP/IP vol 1 book. Is it ok to read above and beyond what is expected on the exam, yes. Is it complete overkill? No. I scored in the 70's the first time I took the CCIE lab and I had only studied the CCNP and CCIP books up until that point, I had never read any of the "CCIE" level books. Then when I did start reading them it became apparent that it's all the same stuff! Does the way OSPF forms a neighbor adjacency change between the CCNP and CCIE? Nope, and it's in both books. The Doyle books may have a better method for explaining some of the topics but it is still all based on the same theory. In all you'll I think you find once you study the CCNP books, you'll find yourself skimming other books looking for new details you haven't yet learned. If you plan to pursue the CCIE it is imperative that you study the online documentation.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I mostly use other books to learn more about practical applications of what I'm studying. for example, TCP/IP by Doyle as well as the CCNP book both offer all of the mechanics of OSPF, but my copy of OSPF and ISIS by Doyle goes into much more "practical" knowledge.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rearden wrote:

Some of it is, some of it isn't. After you've read the material in the CCNP books you'll be comfortable enough with the material to hit the Professional Development books. Do NOT be discouraged by their job titles. These are EXCELLENT resources for CCNP studies, especially if your true goal is competence and not just that piece of paper. :)
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Well you've got that right. The goal is to learn stuff. The piece of paper is to prove to employers that don't now me that I know the things I learned from all of this.

I'll probably pick up the Routing TCP/IP books once I start working on BSCI.

Thanks for the advice :)
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    baracusbaracus Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would get the self-study BCMSN book (4th edition) over the exam guide

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052733

If you got the hardware, also pickup the lab portfolio

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587132141
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's always a good idea to periodically check the Exam Blueprint against your studies to make sure you (and your books) haven't missed anything. Also using multiple sources gives you something new to look at so that you don't get bored -- plus the 2nd source may cover something the first missed.

If you're thinking of pursuing the CCIE in the future and you're not in a race to get the CCNP as soon as possible, it probably does make sense to do your first read of the Doyle books as you study for the CCNP.

But at the Professional level of study, you should also be using the Cisco Documentation.

The CCNP FAQ has the Cisco Documentation links for the Multicast and IPv6 Configuration Guides
    icon_arrow.gifCisco IOS IP Multicast Configuration Guide, Release 12.4
    icon_arrow.gifCisco IOS IPv6 Configuration Guide, Release 12.4
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!