What can you do if IT coworker implements deficient solution

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
What can you do when a coworker is blatantly incompetent and nobody in your organization understands because they have no clue about IT to begin with?

What can you do when the coworker has problems finding hard drive controller information and using Symantec Backup Exec to schedule holiday backups and he is running your IT department and he's your boss?

What if you tell other employees but they still don't support you?
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    can you make "suggestions" ?

i think 1/2 of my job consists of steering my boss away from bad ideas.
    or trying to give someone a solution good for them but it's not good for us or implemented in a poor way.

I'd try to have your voice heard intead of calling him an idiot (or proving it)

sometimes I have to do this to people outside of it or even within it to prove to them i know
    i what im doing and they dont because they aussume it's easy.

and we put a lot of work into that 99% uptime.

if you cant get anywhere in that way.
    consider another job where they may recognize and hopfully foster your talents.

otherwise just stay and eventually you'll outlast the idiots
    rm -rf /
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    I suggest wounding your co-worker. This can be achieved by making use of a blunt object found around the office. A stapler, for instance.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Goldmember, it might help if you post the link to your original thread about this situation, so others have a bit of background information.

From what I've seen, it doesn't look like you're ever going to change things there. I would suggest to just go with the flow, learn and gain experience, and then move on to bigger and better things.
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    How about giving the guy a hand in areas he's weak on and pointing him in the right direction instead of stabbing him in the back with fellow co-workers.
    I'm sure like you he has a family to feed . icon_confused.gif:
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    dynamik wrote:
    Goldmember, it might help if you post the link to your original thread about this situation, so others have a bit of background information.

From what I've seen, it doesn't look like you're ever going to change things there. I would suggest to just go with the flow, learn and gain experience, and then move on to bigger and better things.

I already left that job.

I ended up resigning because the way things were handled, which was inefficiently and poorly.

It has given me time to study for certs so I'm happy :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Goldmember wrote:
    Find a new job.

No, I mean start looking now!

There were things you could have done to deal with your boss -- but since you've started talking to other people about it, it's probably too late.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    billyr wrote:
    How about giving the guy a hand in areas he's weak on and pointing him in the right direction instead of stabbing him in the back with fellow co-workers.
    I'm sure like you he has a family to feed . icon_confused.gif:

I just notified management but they had no clue, but pretended.

Its pretty bad when the guy that is responsible for your entire infrastructure, from the PC's up to the wireless network, has problems running Backup routines using Symantec, a well documented program for which he had manuals laying in his office and I'm pretty sure he ordered himself.

That is just plain negligence to learn.

I've learned in the IT field one must learn and adapt. If you can't do those two things, you belong in another field.
    mikej412 wrote:
    Goldmember wrote:
    Find a new job.

No, I mean start looking now!

There were things you could have done to deal with your boss -- but since you've started talking to other people about it, it's probably too late.

Those are the employees I told, upper management. My boss, who backstabbed me by siding with him.

It was a funny situation. The whole structure of the IT department was screwed up, from management on down. We had no IT department structure. There were only 2 people, myself and him. The rest of the staff knew nothing about computers.

It was my word against his.