Teaching IT at university?

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
What are the credentials of teaching IT at college or university?

This is the route I want to go.

I'm hoping to obtain a Master's in IT from WGU and then maybe a doctorate if I can find somebody that has a doctorate in IT where I can attend regularly.

Anybody teach IT courses?
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you a CCIE? The University o Ontario Institute of Technology is/was looking for a CCIE to teach ther Bachelor of It in Networking degree. Maybe you should cntact them?
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I don't want to move to Canada unless I have to, but thats not a bad deal.

I would rather get my masters in IT first before I get the CCIE.

I would like to teach college or university computer courses.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you could look into doing adjunct teaching at a technical school to start out.

Credentials required to teach at a university are usually a masters degree.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Netstudent wrote:
    Credentials required to teach at a university are usually a masters degree.
    True, but you also need teaching experience to work at a university. Community colleges usually don't require a Masters, so they are a good place to beef up your educator resume.

But this might be difficult depending on the state you are in. For example, in California, our "Govenator" is bleeding all the cash out of the educational (and roads/highway) system to fund the pork-barrel projects of the legislators in the California State Assembly and Senate. IT classes at the three major community college near me have dwindled to almost nothing (mostly programming and cert classes and basic MIS courses). Unless you have tenure, it's very hard to make a living as an educator in California.
  • 127.0.0.1127.0.0.1 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you a CCIE? The University o Ontario Institute of Technology is/was looking for a CCIE to teach ther Bachelor of It in Networking degree. Maybe you should cntact them?

Hmm... If I were a CCIE, I would definitely look for a better job than teaching! :D
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been teaching at a community college as an adjunct for about 7 years now, I teach 1 or 2 classes a semester. The only requirement is a degree and experience. The community college I teach for has about 3 times as many adjuncts as full-time. Getting in is the problem, like all good jobs it helps to know someone.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Most university tenure-track positions require a terminal-degree in either CS or Math. There are lots of different kinds of teaching. I'll make a table:
    Teaching                                 Experience Req.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vocational (MS Office, Typing)           Work Experience, College Preferred
    Community College                        B.S. or M.S. or Experience
    Undergrad Coursework                     M.S. or Ph.D.
    Undergrad Coursework/Earn Tenure         M.S. or Ph.D. + Published Research
    Upper-Level Undergrad/Grad Level         Ph.D. + Tenure
    Grad Level                               Tenure + Assistant Professor/Professor

In other words, if you want to teach, you have to know what you want to teach (vocational, undergrad, graduate, etc). If you work in an university setting (as opposed to a community college or teaching-oriented 4-year college) you will end up doing research in addition to teaching. Depending on the school, they will require you to publish up to 6 papers a year in academic journals to get/retain tenture or promotions, in addition to a teaching load. You may also be supervising thesis/projects.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Actually what I'd really like to know is if anyone knows of a site where I can find teaching jobs (CS/Math/Office) online. I keep searching monster, careerbuilder, dice, etc but "online education" and "online instruction" turns up a lot of false positives. I live in a pretty rural area and it's nearly impossible for me to teach anywhere except online.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, you need to have minimum M.S or M.A degree to teach any college level...

Experience and position can help you.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kasor wrote:
    Yes, you need to have minimum M.S or M.A degree to teach any college level...

Experience and position can help you.

The community college I teach at only requires a BS/BA to teach as an adjunct. To work for them full-time you need the MS/MA. The university is pretty much the same. It is really tough to get enough qualified people to teach as it is. It would be darn near impossible to find them if they required a MS/MA or better.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...