after CCNA is CCNP a must? technically??

Tish2008Tish2008 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I saw in a thread here that after CCNA it is good to do CCNP prior to CCVP. For somoen who has no experiance in either....areas... is this advisable ?
And in the end, it's not the years in a life that count. It's the life in your years...

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    If you have ZERO Cisco experience, I would say not to bother with either certification yet, but that is just my opinion.

You don't need CCNP level knowledge to pass CCVP, but it will help. If you are looking to get into a strictly VoIP job, then I would say go right into CCVP.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're given a good stable converged network as a starting point, then it should be easy to work some VoIP magic -- and the CCNA -> CCVP is fine.

But when you're not, that's when you'd want the CCNP knowledge -- either yourself or someone on your team. A data network could have some problems that aren't apparent until you load voice on it -- and then the problems get blamed on you and your voice traffic.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    If you have ZERO Cisco experience, I would say not to bother with either certification yet, but that is just my opinion.

Good thing you didn't give that advice to our new CCIE, MrD. icon_wink.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=205054

MrD wrote:
    I began CCNA studies in January 2006. I passed the CCNA in June, had the CCNP by November, and passed the written in December. I had absolutely 0 real-world networking experience until January 2007 when I started with a local hospital on their L2 (Network Operations) team. Throughout 2007 I prepared for the lab. January 2008 I was promoted to their L3 (Network Engineering) team. So, now I have 15 months experience. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:

Good thing you didn't give that advice to our new CCIE, MrD. icon_wink.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=205054

MrD wrote:
    I began CCNA studies in January 2006. I passed the CCNA in June, had the CCNP by November, and passed the written in December. I had absolutely 0 real-world networking experience until January 2007 when I started with a local hospital on their L2 (Network Operations) team. Throughout 2007 I prepared for the lab. January 2008 I was promoted to their L3 (Network Engineering) team. So, now I have 15 months experience. :)

I have heard a lot people say (and maybe myself included) it is better to wait to get CCNA, MCSA, etc...until you have some experience in IT. Maybe MrD proves that may not always be the best thing to do.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There's a lot to be said for doing hands-on labs as you study towards certification, to give you the experience you need to be able to work. You don't necessarily have the same in-the-heat-of-the-moment experience that the guys who've been working 5 - 10 years, but you do have training and you know the technologies. Besides, it's been very rare that I take a new job and feel both confident and prepared for all the new challenges I see on that first week, so I think we all feel that newbie-time as we begin with a new employer.

As long as you study and really know the technologies, that you have theory down pat and you are able to physically set up the networking and voice equipment, you have nothing to worry about. Studying for CCNA, and then CCVP, as long as you go about it honestly, will give you that kind of training; (as MrD showed us icon_wink.gif ).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sthomas wrote:
    I have heard a lot people say (and maybe myself included) it is better to wait to get CCNA, MCSA, etc...until you have some experience in IT.
    Reading answers to users from a database over the phone, swapping power supplies at a user's desk, or solving user's Microsoft Word Problems for 2 years still doesn't prepare someone for a networking job.... with a CCNA you should at least have gained the knowledge and skills that Cisco lays out in their exam blueprints. And if you can demonstrate that knowledge and skill -- a person with just a CCNA is more valuable in an entry level networking job than someone with great Microsoft Office knowledge.

Helpdesk and Deskside Support and entry level hardware jobs are good for companies that promote from within -- if you don't have the knowledge and skills for the entry level networking and admin jobs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Tish2008Tish2008 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all the replies.... Really appriciate it....
    And in the end, it's not the years in a life that count. It's the life in your years...