BCMSN PDF from Cisco website

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
Now working full time!

Comments

• Dilan77Dilan77 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great link!!

Thanks for that, it will come in very handy with with the BCMSN... :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Post! icon_thumright.gif

I realized that the Switch Configuration Guides would have been great to study for the BCMSN Exam, and parts of them for the CCNA. Unfortunately I didn't realize that until I started reading the 3550 Switch Configuration Guide for my CCIE Lab Study -- and I never thought to post the links before icon_redface.gif

You can check here for the most current versions of the 2950 Switch Configuration Guides.
    The latests is the Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch Software Configuration Guide, 12.1(22)EA7.

Also check out the Catalyst 3550 Multilayer Switch Software Configuration Guides which are still useful for the current BCMSN and CCIE. I usually just grab the latest/greatest which is for Rel. 12.2(25)SEE (PDF version here).

Or Check out the Catalyst 3560 Multilayer Switch Software Configuration Guides which may be useful for the updated BCMSN and CCIE (after Nov 2006). That latest/greatest is for Rel. 12.2(44)SE also (PDF version here).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    The 3550 and 2950 configuration guides have helped me out greatly -- more so the 3550 which covers more of the topics on the exam.
    Now working full time!
    There is a Cisco PDF that you can use for BSCI (and the CCIE :D ) -- Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide Rel 12.2.pdf -- check out the IP Routing Protocols Section.
    mikej412 wrote:
    There is a Cisco PDF that you can use for BSCI (and the CCIE :D ) -- Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide Rel 12.2 -- check out the IP Routing Protocols Section.

Great thanks for that mike, I will be hopefully starting BSCI again in a couple weeks!
    Now working full time!
    Okay..... now we're just drifting. Is QOS important for the new CCNP?

If so (and for the QOS exam and CCIE) Cisco IOS Quality of Service Solutions Configuration Guide, Release 12.2 is a good read (in addition to the Odom QOS Exam Cert Guide).

I've heard rumors of someone studying for the CCIE by just using the Doc CD (or Documentation Website) -- now I'm wondering if we should consider collecting the links (for supplemental reading) for the CCNP/CCNA topics. I've thought about it before -- and decided I won't have the time to do it until I run out of CCIEs.
    QoS is on the old BCMSN exam and also on the new.
    Now working full time!
    As it gets closer and closer to my BCMSN exam, it feels like my head is going to explode. Still some stuff to learn and I dont know how it is possible to remember everything for all 4 exams when you are finished your CCNP.. ....Mike and others, how can you remain sane and retain all of that information? What kind of herbal pills do you take :D:D
    Now working full time!
    Mike and others, how can you remain sane and retain all of that information? What kind of herbal pills do you take :D
    Who says we stay sane?

You can forget the stuff you don't use everyday -- but that's why it good to read the posts here -- the questions posted here remind you of things you may otherwise forget.

Looking at everything again for the CCIE Written also helps refresh the stuff in your brain..... and the hands on practice helps you to retain the information.

Eventually all the study and hands on practice hopefully means you won't ever forget all the stuff -- at least until after you pass a CCIE Lab exam and retire (since you have to pass a CCIE written exam every 2 years after that).

Massive amounts of caffeine also helps.
    Is it possible to order some of these configuration guides in a book format, so that I do not have to read it off the screen?
    Now working full time!
    Is it possible to order some of these configuration guides in a book format, so that I do not have to read it off the screen?
    Yes -- go to the Cisco Marketplace and click on the Product Documentation Store graphic-link (it will prompt for your CCO login - guest level is fine). Make sure you're sitting down when you look at some of the prices icon_moneyeyes.gif ..... (then take that money and buy a 26 inch LCD monitor to make reading on screen easier icon_lol.gif ).
    mikej412 wrote:
    Yes -- go to the Cisco Marketplace and click on the Product Documentation Store graphic-link (it will prompt for your CCO login - guest level is fine). Make sure you're sitting down when you look at some of the prices icon_moneyeyes.gif ..... (then take that money and buy a 26 inch LCD monitor to make reading on screen easier icon_lol.gif ).

Yikes! Do they happen to include the configuration guides with the purchase of a new switch? I will have to ask today when Iam at work, I know our guys usually throw out the manuals.
    Now working full time!
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    The link in the original post appears to be dead. Can anyone tell me what it was and if it is still relevant?
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
    I think it was one of the switch configuration guides -- the links to the main pages in my post are still working -- and I've updated the links to the latest version (and removed the links no longer available as PDF).

These updated links and more updated documentation reading suggestions are in the
    CCNP FAQ. The IOS 12.4 links for the BSCI reading should be there, rather than the 12.2 link in this thread. The 12.4 docs have the individual configuration guides in place of the 12.2 version with 3 parts.
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Thanks mike :)
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks Mike, the QoS link is very handy. There's plenty of QoS on the ONT exam.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Talk about bringing a dead post alive :D
    Now working full time!
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good links!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • yavuzer_mehmetyavuzer_mehmet Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I participate this forum new. Thank you very much for your help.
    Computer Engineer & CCNA
    I AM GOING TO BE CCNP
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Very handy guys!!!

Got my BCMSN exam coming up soon..... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    Humper wrote:

The link seems to be broken. Is it working for anyone else?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
    rakem wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:
    I think it was one of the switch configuration guides -- the links to the main pages in my post are still working -- and I've updated the links to the latest version (and removed the links no longer available as PDF).

These updated links and more updated documentation reading suggestions are in the
    CCNP FAQ. The IOS 12.4 links for the BSCI reading should be there, rather than the 12.2 link in this thread. The 12.4 docs have the individual configuration guides in place of the 12.2 version with 3 parts.

This tread's link in the CCNP FAQ is more for the Use the Cisco Documentation message.... but we may as well have working links here too. I've added "moderating" the original broken link in Humper's post to my FAQ Update To-do list. In the mean time -- use all the other links that have been updated. :D
    mikej412 wrote:
    rakem wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:

This tread's link in the CCNP FAQ is more for the Use the Cisco Documentation message.... but we may as well have working links here too. I've added "moderating" the original broken link in Humper's post to my FAQ Update To-do list. In the mean time -- use all the other links that have been updated. :D

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Now working full time!
    how long did you guys wait to study for BCMSN after passing BSCI?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Doing BCMSN first over here.... 18 more days....

I'm been studying pretty intensely for the last two months.... on and off for 1 month before that........ alot of information to take in but I've been lucky enough to have touched base on alot of the topics at work so if anything BCMSN is just helping understand them quite thoroughly!!!

May I ask how long you studied for the BSCI?? I can see that being information overload as well :) Thank god I love this stuff!!! :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    I studied for it for about 4 months. Read the ciscopress BSCI book, the Routing TCP/IP book, watched the CBT nuggets, used a home lab and dynamips, the BSCI lab book from ciscopress, and the week before my test I reread the BSCI book and rewatched the CBT Nuggets that I wasn't 100% clear on.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    A.P.A wrote:
    Doing BCMSN first over here.... 18 more days....

I'm been studying pretty intensely for the last two months.... on and off for 1 month before that........ alot of information to take in but I've been lucky enough to have touched base on alot of the topics at work so if anything BCMSN is just helping understand them quite thoroughly!!!

May I ask how long you studied for the BSCI?? I can see that being information overload as well :) Thank god I love this stuff!!! :D

Dont neglect wireless especially LWAPP and also VoiP such as voice vlan and voice qos and now that I think about it also HSRP tracking and debug results. :D
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
    how long did you guys wait to study for BCMSN after passing BSCI?
    I read Clark/Hamilton Cisco LAN Switching when it came out. And there was also Caslow/Pavlichenko Cisco Certification Bridges, Routers and Switches for CCIEs. But if you toss in my working with other vendor switches back when Cisco couldn't switch a packet to save their life, then I probably started studying somewhere around 6 or 7 years before I decided to start on the Cisco CCNA.