Should I try for Linux+?

bgivens33bgivens33 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I made the switch to Linux ~6 months ago, cold turkey, and haven't looked back. I'm using Ubuntu(Gutsy GIbbon) and I've tossed around the idea of getting certified.

I'm switching from AD to Reserves in the Air Force. I've fiddled around with computers my whole life and got an A+ in high school. But, needless to say, I'm going to need to get a real job. I have a bit of resume experience but I'm going to start volunteering down at the Library doing tech support for ~10 hours a week. Anyway, the two paths I'm looking at are-

Net+ Sec+ MCSA:Security

Net+ CCNA

I'm in school right now for a BS in MIS. I think the field I want to head down is security but I'm not real sure how Linux fits into that(I am BRAND new to it). Any thoughts? Is it worth studying for it? I'm not too worried about the cost of the exam, just wondering if given what I want to do if you guys think it will be worth it. I figure, worst case... I might not ever use it, but I'll understand how to operate my computer better. I don't ever plan to go back to windows, might as well learn Linux as best as I can.

Comments

• GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    If you are new to Linux it should be fun for you to get Linux+

Go for it.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're ultimate goal is Linux security, Red Hat and SUN (Unix) offer security specializations for their certifications.

Linux+ is definitely the place to start. After that, you'd probably move into the LPIC arena for more vendor-neutral certifications.
  • bgivens33bgivens33 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This seems like a win-win... started studying this week. Hope to sit for it by mid-april. I'm going to go ahead and run a less "user-friendly" version of linux, maybe slackwae or redhat, haven't quite decided yet. I might emulate it or just throw it on a laptop. Thanks for the advice and I'll let everyone know my passing score ;)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can use VMs as well. Check out VMWare Server or Workstation or Virtual PC 2007. Actually, with Linux, you can probably just get by with VMWare Player and download Linux appliances.

Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Debian, etc. are all good. You can even install Ubuntu in a server-version with no GUI. If I remember right, you want to be familiar with a Redhat-based and Debian-based distros.