RDP on Vista

vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm just trying to decide if I should buy Vista Home Premium or Ultimate. My decision has come down to whether home premium supports RDP or not (Remoting out of my machine and connecting to my machine remotely from another computer). Someone please help.

Comments

• iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    You could buy Ultimate and have the intergrated RDP client, or you could save the cash buy Home Premium then just use a freeware VNC client from some vendor.

However to answer your question: Vista Home Premium doesn't come with RDP.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Basic N, or Windows Vista Home Premium. You can, however, connect from those editions of Windows Vista to computers running other versions of Windows

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/02ddfbec-7a97-4788-9d54-86f174a95f841033.mspx
  • vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

I thought I heard you could install an RDP client on it the same way you can install it on win xp home or win 2000. Has anyone ever done this on Vista or know if it's possible.
  • ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    As the link above showed, the RDP client is installed by default on Vista. I use Home Prem and RDP into VM's on another machine.
    ~Thiassi
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Reread the last sentence in that quote. You can connect from those versions to others. That means they have the client; there's no need to install it. You just cannot establish a RDC to any of those versions.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I also had the same problem where i wanted to rdp to my home premium version. It does not allow incomming rdp connections but does allow outgoing connections.

Get Business edition or up
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress