I'm changing careers and need some advice, please help!

newguygarynewguygary Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I about to completely change careers and move into the IT field. I plan to attend a technical training school and get my A+, Net+, hopefully find an entry level job, then continue on with MCSA/MCSE, CCNA. Can anyone give me advice on what type of job I may be able to get, what kind of salary I could get?

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    More than likely help desk or entry level support. Salary would be around $30k or less usually.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What made you decide to pick IT? Just curious.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Salary is going to depend on your location also. Here in Cincinnati, I have seen tech support jobs range from 10-18 bucks an hour. My advice to you is, passion. If you have that passion to learn and encompass all that is IT you will do well. I have passed up a lot of folks that have been in the industry since Windows 3.1, and I am doing a lot better than they are. Mainly because I still have a lot of passion and drive. Most of them are like, I don't even touch a computer when i get home, last thing I want to do is start banging on computers when I do that here at my job. I am the opposite, I am like man I can't wait home to try this or that on my computer. Passion.... and you will do fine.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    newguygary,

Bold! But yes, a help desk/geek squad job is a nice start you should have no trouble finding one of those after you get A+.

good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
    -Daniel
  • newguygarynewguygary Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    remyforbes777 - thanks for the encouraging advice, i will certainly remember it.

blargoe - i've always been intrigued with computers and more specifically networking. I just haven't followed it through till now.

[/code][/quote]