Options

Corrections to MSPress Vista text

hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
As we have all noticed there are errors (/gasp) in the MS Press Vista (70-260 exam) self study book. This page from Microsoft has listed most of them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941753/en-us

There are still some questions on the Practice CD that have incorrect answers not listed in the MS page.

Comments

• Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    thats a LOT of changes! perhaps i will steer clear of that book for a while.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    There are a lot of corrections I have noticed for many of their books actually. I was using an ASP.net book a year or two ago and it had many corrections out there (plus several more minor ones that I noticed). Some of the minor things I noticed were where classic ASP was used instead of the ASP.net enhanced procedures in several areas.
  • Options
    tlpwwxtlpwwx Inactive Imported Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am somewhat sad to say that I purchased the 70-620 Self-Paced Traing Kit. I studied intensely for nearly a month. I used the pratice exams daily and did not schedule cert exam until I was scoring above 90% on all of the included practice exams. I suppose Prometric has possibly changed the exams since the time they took over and the books publishing date which was early 2007. I failed the test by one question; a score of 667. No offense to the authors. The book is very well written and seems very comprehensive. But, to promise that by using the Self-Paced Training Kit you are guaranteed to pass the exam is questionable. I do not claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but when a person scores above %90 on all of the practice exams in Cert Mode and Chapter Review mode, it seems reasonable to expect that one would have a decent expectation to pass the exam and have a comprehensive knowledge of the material. This does not mean the book is a waste of money; it's not. You will learn a great deal about Vista.
    I don't want to sound like a a cry-baby. I learned a great deal by using this book. But, using it does not guarantee you will pass the exam as claimed. At least %30 of the questions seemed to come out of thin air and were not covered in the book. If the authors want to correct me on this Iwould appreciate their corrections. And yes, there are a handful of practice exam questions that are wrong, but by studying well they are easily spotted and really only help to reinforce your knowledge.
    It seems only reasonable that a REAL comprehensive book covering the information on the 70-620 exam would be available from MS Press. There are oodles of alleged prep materials available, but which can truly be considerd reliable. It seems there was a great rush by MS Press to release ANY study material at the time of Vista's (delayed) release, even if incomplete or needing further editing.
    Also, at the Prometric Testing Center, I was told that the Computer Learning Center which will remain unamed, used books that were part of the Microsoft Official Curriculum which I could purchase only by taking the learning center's classes at a cost of over two thousand dollars. That seems to be a bit fishy to me.
    To those whom have passed the exam, where did you take a class or what study guide did you use? I would really appreciate some help here; and not from somebody trying to sell there own products, please.
    Best of luck to all
    icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
    "ad astra per alia porci" ( To the moon on the wings of a pig)-John Steinbeck
  • Options
    Dear Hannos,
    It seems that having multiple certifications you are highly qualified. I expect this helped you a great deal when taking the 70-620 exam. I would like your advice on what IS a good study guide. You can read my other post on this thread about my experience studying and preparing for the exam wiith this book.
    Thank you very much
  • Options
    I checked the Microsoft Learning site yesterday and none of 70-620 exam prep books were available. Does anybody know if the have been discontinued, possibly dues to the number of errors and omition of critical information?