CS getting "popular" again?

sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    It will be interesting to see how it pans out. We should note that that study is only of phd-granting universities, and not the umpteen million smaller 4 year and 2 year schools.

I work in higher-ed and I'd rather see lots of quality people rather than the kind of no-talent ass-clowns that have been coming out of CS/MIS programs thinking they're gonna be the next bill gates.

College recruiters will tell these kids anything to get them at the school/in the major -- that's how the department gets funded -- enrollment numbers.
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    College recruiters will tell these kids anything to get them at the school/in the major -- that's how the department gets funded -- enrollment numbers.

this is the truth. After they graduate if they are not handed the 100K job they were lied to in college they began saying "IT is a joke"
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Sounds like the art department where I went to school. Everyone graduating were soon very bitter and disappointed and talked about being lied to by the dean and so forth just because they all weren't hired by Pixar or ILM. Which was also a crock since a few (a very few) did actually get hired on by ILM and other big names. The difference? They worked their asses off. Well except for one guy who kind of worked his ass off but was so insanely talented that it made up the difference. It just seems like lots of the college kids these days don't understand that they have to work hard hard hard, and they will still have to climb up the pecking order most likely.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    undomiel wrote:
    Sounds like the art department where I went to school. Everyone graduating were soon very bitter and disappointed and talked about being lied to by the dean and so forth just because they all weren't hired by Pixar or ILM. Which was also a crock since a few (a very few) did actually get hired on by ILM and other big names. The difference? They worked their asses off. Well except for one go who kind of worked his ass off but was so insanely talented that it made up the difference. It just seems like lots of the college kids these days don't understand that they have to work hard hard hard, and they will still have to climb up the pecking order most likely.

+1...my college told me I'd come out making between 40-50k....and I'm right in middle of that spectrum...

Why because I learned everything I could and worked hard at it!
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I've attended 3 colleges one 4 year , one was a 2 year and one was a 14 month tech school

I left the 4 year after 2 because it was not what I wanted for I have 2 diploma's out of the 3

all 3 promised the world to me one even told me if your offeredanything less that 50k as a STARTING out oracle DBA shake their hand and politely refuse the job (cost of living is not excessive here either)

and only cause I busted my butt at the tech school and got certs and already had IT experience did I get my break

there is a lot of mis information out there
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    shednik wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Sounds like the art department where I went to school. Everyone graduating were soon very bitter and disappointed and talked about being lied to by the dean and so forth just because they all weren't hired by Pixar or ILM. Which was also a crock since a few (a very few) did actually get hired on by ILM and other big names. The difference? They worked their asses off. Well except for one go who kind of worked his ass off but was so insanely talented that it made up the difference. It just seems like lots of the college kids these days don't understand that they have to work hard hard hard, and they will still have to climb up the pecking order most likely.

+1...my college told me I'd come out making between 40-50k....and I'm right in middle of that spectrum...

Why because I learned everything I could and worked hard at it!

+2...my college had average salary for CS/MIS right out of school 50K+. I made more than that right out of school, but I had to do something I didn't like doing and the only thing the college taught me...programming!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always tell people at online forum that only two type of degree you need in this area: Computer Sciense or Information System.

There is no other degree that can replaced them. I don't care how fancy the program or the name, unless they are the top notch Computer Sciense School in the country.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the thing people do not realize is that the nation is FINALLY starting to realize that just because you have a degree, you do not necessarily know anything that will benefit their company.

a degree is nothing more than a piece of paper that shows someone that you know how to learn.

a certification means that you know how to do a certain skillset.

the reason college enrollment is down is simple, the industry does not demand it to make a decent wage...

companys look at one thing now when it comes to IT, JOB EXPERIENCE.

THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. Certs help to get your foot in the door, and degrees do that as well. but what the employer wants to see is what you know and how you have been practically putting it to use.

degrees do nothing more than help you get an interview. thats it.
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    just because you have a degree, you do not necessarily know anything that will benefit their company.

True.
    a degree is nothing more than a piece of paper that shows someone that you know how to learn.

Said the man whose never had the pleasure of experiencing the ups and downs of obtaining a 4-year degree.
    a certification means that you know how to do a certain skillset.

Your CompTIA "certifications" certainly do NOT mean you've acquired a certain skill set. It shows that you have barely grasped the most fundamental concepts in a broad discipline like networking.
    the reason college enrollment is down is simple, the industry does not demand it to make a decent wage...

Really? What's your source? What about increasing tutition costs? That has no affect on enrollment numbers?
    companys look at one thing now when it comes to IT, JOB EXPERIENCE.

Hence, the reason why virtually every job site has in big bold letters "4-year Bachelors in a technical discipline" as a requirement.
    degrees do nothing more than help you get an interview. thats it.

Rubbish. I'm calling your mom.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Adding a to this thread, I think some kind of business training/education along with IT skills is the ultimate package. i'd like to dual major in Information Assurance and Business Administraton, and then i can really start to see big bucks in the future... Because companies need IT people who understand how business work not just how network or security works. If a person can work both, they are more likely to be in a managerial position which makes more money, and or start their own company with the business/IT skills.

just my 2 cents,

win2k4