God not another Home Lab question - More like advice

ccvp_wannabeccvp_wannabe Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off great site and glad I found it!

I read the sticky and read most of what folks have for a lab setup
but still a bit stuck.

I have been buying some stuff on "The Bay" and just need a little advice.

I bought 2 MC3810's with 2 serial/1 T1 interface cards in both and 32D/16F.
A 2924 XL (using this for the head end site for CM, voice router and IP phones)

Having a hard time with the next step. I know I need some FXS/FXO so I am wondering
if I should go with loading up one of the MC's with and APM/AVM-6? And using the second
as just another remote?

And also, what should I get for my head end router? 3640, 26XX?

Money is an object but I do want the proper gear.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    You know you can get a 1760 router to do voice, too. A lot cheaper.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • ccvp_wannabeccvp_wannabe Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You know you can get a 1760 router to do voice, too. A lot cheaper.

I do! I have been bidding on these as well but very hard to score especially with cards.
    You think that would do the job for the head end?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In one of the MC3810 threads I did point out it is more expensive to buy the separate pieces and put them together into a useful MC3810 than to get a good deal on one that is ready to go.

The MC3810-V3 should come with 64 meg DRAM and 32 meg flash -- but 16 meg is fine on any MC3810. An MC3810-V3 with 32 megs of flash just lets you store 2 different images in the flash.

The MC3810v3 uses the same memory as the 1760 -- and is different from the MC3810 and MC3810-V. So you have to do your homework and use the links in the MC3810 FAQ threads to figure out your upgrade options.

The last images available for the MC3810s require 64 Meg DRAM to run -- so you might have to do a bios and memory upgrade on the earlier models. Or you could use a 12.2 IOS version which might not have all the neat feature you want to play with.

You'd want to start with 2 MC3810s that have the AVM6 to hold the APM modules -- usually 2 FXS, 2FXO, and 2EM -- but having 1 of each would still work. You'd also want the VCM6 and MFT-T1.

You might get a 3rd MC3810 with just MC3810-APM-EMs and the T1 and use as your initial PSTN cloud. I've got 2 of these and can use them as my PSTN cloud or as "PBXs"

That should get you started for the CVOICE exam.

I also have 3 of the 1760-V routers -- bought in pieces and put together into the Voice version. I got a bunch of PVDMs at $20 each -- so that was my biggest cost saver.

With the 1760s (and 1750 & 1721) you don't need the NM-2V to hold the VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO cards that you'd need with the 3600, 2600, and 2600XM routers.

If you make it this far in your studies -- then you might consider an NM-HDV and VWIC-1MFT-T1 or VWIC-2MFT-T1. But when (and if) you've made it this far, you should be able to figure out the rest of the hardware and interfaces on your own. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks mikej412 (I was hoping you would respond :D )

Yes I did read that in your past posts but it has been tough getting the MC's with anything but a
    MFT-1. (snipers icon_mad.gif)

I'm figuring out that 32/16 isn't going to cut it if I am going to want to play with MGCP.
    And I am having a real tough time trying to find the boot helper image documented in the FRU
    for the MC3810. I have a CCO account and can't find it anywhere.

If anyone could lend a hand with pointing me in the right direction I would be appreciative.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will work on getting a 1760. I have access to some FXS/FXO's at work that I could use for it. I think I'll work on loading up the MC3810's.

So for now, the 2-3810's and a 1760 (in your opinion) would work? Condsidering that I boost the memory to 64 meg on the 3810's and load them up with AVM'6s and APM's.
    You really just need your HQ and 2 branch offices -- so the 3 voice routers is a good start.

When you run into something like PBX---Gateway---Gateway---PBX, that's when you might consider a 4th router. And this is where the lab could start getting really expensive -- or you could start getting creative. :D

Some of the gateway/gatekeeper stuff I studied got into the Service Provider to Service Provider configurations -- but you'd want to check Gateway/Gatekeeper book and the exam blueprint and see if its tested before you consider spending money on more equipment. Most of the current books weren't out when I did the exams, so I had to guess what to read in the Cisco Documentation and then figure out if it matched the exam blueprint.
    Thanks Mike,

Much appreciated. I have been doing the research on loading up the MC3810's and it is going to cost me a bit. Wondering if I should just toss these back on ebay and going after something else like the 1751's 1760's. I saw some of the deals that you guys got on some of your MC's but I wasn't that lucky. Oh well I'll keep on trying.
    If you price the VWIC-1MFT-T1 and VWIC-2MFT-T1 -- you may decide to keep the MC3810s just for the MFT-T1s. The cheap VWIC-1MFT-T1s on eBay from Hong Kong and China might work for a while -- but they are probably counterfeit.

Rather than spend $250 on eBay for a still useless MC3810 (no AVM6 or APMs) -- buy a 1760-V (or the pieces to build one) or the 1750 and pimp it out for voice.

But it's still worth watching for a $15-$50 "deal of the century" MC3810 on eBay.... and even if they creep back up to $100 each -- they may still be worth it.
    mikej412 wrote:
    If you price the VWIC-1MFT-T1 and VWIC-2MFT-T1 -- you may decide to keep the MC3810s just for the MFT-T1s. The cheap VWIC-1MFT-T1s on eBay from Hong Kong and China might work for a while -- but they are probably counterfeit.

Rather than spend $250 on eBay for a still useless MC3810 (no AVM6 or APMs) -- buy a 1760-V (or the pieces to build one) or the 1750 and pimp it out for voice.

But it's still worth watching for a $15-$50 "deal of the century" MC3810 on eBay.... and even if they creep back up to $100 each -- they may still be worth it.

Actually, thats true and it gives me a few more sites to play with routing as well. Good call!
    Thanks for the help mike! I really appreciate the time you take to post and the detailed information you provide. Not sure who owns this board but you are an asset. And if it's yours then thanks for the resource! :D