How to Block NDR

Hi Guys, I have an NDR problem and need your expertise in exchange.

The scenario is:

I have a distribution list that has 15 members and this DL was used by the application that will auto send emails to hundred of users (internal and external).

The problem is some of the users (internal and external) is no longer working in the company or the external address is already invalid (mayber user resigned in that external domain).

Now the member of the DL is keep on receiving NDR's everytime the application send email to the users (internal/external). The temporary solution is they removed all the invalid smtp but if someone resigned, they received NDR's again.

My question is: Is there an NDR blocking option in exchange or outlook for a particular mailbox or DL?

Cheers,
Ally
"...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How is the DL managed, is it a group that is in AD? If the internal user is being deleted from AD when he resigns, it should remove them from the group too.

I don't know of any option directly that turns off NDRs for an individual user or for a DL.

EDIT:

I just remembered, there is a way to do it if it's an Exchange DL that you have set up in AD. On the Exchange Advanced tab there should be options such as allowing out of office messages and settings for delivery reports, you should be able to find something there to turn off delivery reports.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    blargoe wrote:
    How is the DL managed, is it a group that is in AD? If the internal user is being deleted from AD when he resigns, it should remove them from the group too.

I don't know of any option directly that turns off NDRs for an individual user or for a DL.

EDIT:

I just remembered, there is a way to do it if it's an Exchange DL that you have set up in AD. On the Exchange Advanced tab there should be options such as allowing out of office messages and settings for delivery reports, you should be able to find something there to turn off delivery reports.

Yep...Blargoe is correct...go to that tab and check the third bullet to turn off Delivery Reports for mail sent to that DL. Let us all know if it works out for you.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)